Finals are around the corner and the semester is coming to an end. For some of us this marks the end of our first semester and for others it may mark the beginning of our last semester. No matter where we are in school, it is important to keep working hard to finish the semester strong. Here are a few tips to help prepare for finals in the upcoming weeks.
- Begin Studying Now – allow yourself enough time to study for all classes ahead of final exams. Work to get all notes organized, make flashcards or a Quizlet and spend a few hours each day going over the material. This can help reduce stressful, last minute studying.
- Find a study group or study buddy – working with others may help you learn more or understand concepts better, and it could also help them. Find a quiet place, a group of other classmates, and help each other review and have a fun time learning the material. Working with others can help make the process seem less intimidating and more enjoyable.
- Ask questions – whether in class, at office hours, or in a scheduled meeting don’t be afraid to ask the teacher any last-minute questions to help you better understand the material. The faculty at SDSU are excited to help students learn and willing to help explain material again to make sure you grasp the whole concept so that you can achieve maximum success.
- Make a finals game plan – being organized is crucial to success during finals week. Having class material organized and easy to find will help make the week less stressful. Review the dates, times and locations for your exams, so that you can be prepared and know which exams to prepare for on which dates. Even finding a good spot to study can contribute to your success during finals.
- Take breaks – make sure that you are not overworking yourself and give yourself time for breaks. This might include getting coffee, going for a walk, working out in the wellness center, spending time with friends, or watching the newest episode of your favorite show. Finding a balance between studying and taking care of yourself is important when going through the stress of finals.
Start incorporating these tips into your days over the next few weeks to help achieve success, reduce finals stress, and end the semester strong. Good luck!