Financial Institution Examiner- South Dakota Division of Banking
Location: Pierre or Sioux Falls
Employment Type: Permanent Employee
Agency: Labor & Regulation
Post Date: 10/06/2020 Description
Agency: Department of Labor and Regulation;
Division of Banking Location: Pierre or Sioux Falls
Salary: $47,000 annually
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
For more information on the Department of Labor and Regulation, please visit this page.
The South Dakota Division of Banking is seeking a person who is inquisitive and analytical with excellent communication skills to join our team of professional Financial Institution Examiners. The Division regulates the state's banking, trust, and financial services industries to assure that our citizens have confidence in our state's financial markets and services.
Overnight travel is required.
As part of a team, the Examiner:
• determines the financial condition of state-chartered banks, trust companies, and licensed financial institutions;
• evaluates the adequacy of financial institutions' internal control procedures;
• determines compliance with State and Federal statutes related to banking, trust, licensing, and consumer protection;
• evaluates loan and investment portfolios to determine quality and suitability;
• makes recommendations on findings;
• investigates consumer complaints related to supervised financial institutions.
The Division of Banking offers excellent training and salary advancement opportunities. Formal classroom training during the first four years of employment is required. Upon completion of scheduled classroom training and demonstration of on-the-job skills, employees are eligible for internal promotions and pay advancement. This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A bachelor's degree in banking, finance, accounting, or a related field with an advanced degree is preferred. Professional experience that leads to mastery of the following knowledge and abilities will be considered.
• accounting and auditing principles and procedures;
• the organization of banks and other financial institutions;
• banking work environments;
• fiduciary principles;
• consumer protection statutes and regulations;
• computers and management information systems.
• communicate concisely and effectively with co-workers, financial institution staff and officials, and examiners from other agencies; •
• gather, interpret, report, and use financial information;
• understand and interpret federal and state banking regulations.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, please attach a letter of interest, post-secondary transcripts, and a writing sample.
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and Page 1 of 2 | October 20, 2020 medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-stategovernment/index.html. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605-773-3148 Fax: 605-773-4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"