The Ness School is excited to host the Management, Economics & Communication Fair on Wednesday March 8, 2023, from 1pm to 4 pm at the Volstorff Ballroom in the Student Union. Over 60 companies will be in attendance offering internships and full-time positions for all students. This event is a great opportunity to connect face-to-face with employers from a variety of industries.
How can SDSU students prepare to make the most of attending this career fair – and land a “dream job” for the future? Start by following these 5 Tips for Success:
- Review which employers will be there – Look through the list of employers attending the career fair and choose a “Top 10” that you are most interested in visiting with. This strategy will help make the most of your time while at the fair. Additionally, research your top picks and gain a basic understanding of the company. This will help you be more prepared to ask good questions. A list of companies attending the career fair on Nov. 2nd can be found at:
- Create a “fire” elevator pitch – Employers want to know who you are, and it is important to make a good first impression when meeting companies and an employer. So having an elevator pitch ready is a good idea. The three key elements to make a successful elevator pitch include:
- Introduce yourself and include exciting information and facts.
- Briefly and clearly state your qualifications, from previous jobs or experiences.
- Lastly, include “why you” by including information that makes you different.
- Polish up your resume – Having a resume in hand at the career fair shows that you are organized and ready for hire. Update you resume by including information that is relevant to the position you are applying for. Make sure that it is easy to read and includes your current contact information. Once your resume is perfect, print out lots of copies and bring them with you. For the Management, Economics and Communication Fair it is recommended students bring 20 or more copies.
- Dress for success – Business casual dress including slacks and a blazer will give you a great first impression. Of course, a smile and a great attitude are also successful attributes for job candidates.
- Bring your confidence and skills – Everyone has their own sets of interests and skills that they offer. So be confident, be ready to share your achievements, and chances are you’re going to make some important connections for your future employment.