Paid and Unpaid Undergraduate Research Opportunities
SDSU Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Oak Lake Field Station
Application Deadline: April 10, 2020
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Application Deadline: April 20, 2020
Wildlife Leadership Awards (WLA) include a $5,000 scholarship and one-year RMEF membership
College juniors and seniors chosen for their leadership ability, dedication to wildlife conservation and scholastic achievements
Download the application online.
Off-Campus Experiential Learning Opportunities
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences: Provides internships to outstanding undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing careers in the biomedical/biological sciences to work on a research project that entails exposure to the latest biochemical, molecular, and analytical techniques in a given field.
- SDSU Undergraduate Research Opportunities in the Great Plains Region: GFP, NRCS, Pheasants Forever……
- USDA Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Pathways Program: Offers federal internship and employment opportunities for current students, recent graduates and those with an advanced degree.
- National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduate Students (NSF REU programs)
- Nationwide program with opportunities in many disciplines and locations throughout the USA.
- With your mentor, you design a research project by preparing both a written and oral research proposal, conduct experiments and gather data, presenting a poster and/or giving a presentation on your research at the completion of the program.
- Provide: All travel and expenses while in the program and also a stipend of ~$5,000 depending on the program.
- For Students
- Search for an REU Site
- REU Sites: Biological Sciences
- Student Conservation Association: Has internships in wide-ranging fields and locations. (Paid Internships)
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums: Search under internships and lots of opportunities pop up!
- Internships for Applied Ecologists
- Ecolog Listerv
- Listserv of the Ecological Society of America
- Volunteer and paid internship positions are posted here
- Evoldir Listserv: Posting site for evolutionary and ecological research opportunities (volunteer and paid internships)
: How to Apply
- Good GPA 3.5 (or better but if over a 3.0, you never know, until you try)
- Resume - including academic and research experience
- Statement of interest
- Unofficial transcript
- Letters of recommendation – ask if your references can provide you with a “strong” reference!