April 5-6, 2019
High school students from South Dakota are invited to participate in the first SDSU Honor Jazz Band Workshop, to be held at the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center at South Dakota State University on April 5-6, 2019. The Honor Jazz Band Workshop’s mission is to provide a training environment for students wanting to learn improvisation skills, jazz ensemble playing, and/or prepare for South Dakota All-State Jazz Band.
Workshops with SDSU School of Performing Arts faculty
Expert strategies and tips in jazz ensemble playing
Rehearsals and concert in the newly expanded performing arts facility
Open to the following instrumentation:
Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Saxophone
There is no application fee. Students selected will be charged a $25 participation fee.
Students can apply with director nomination.
Nominations are done electronically using THIS LINK.
Director Nominations due by: January 14, 2019
Audition Recordings due by: March 1, 2019
Audition Recordings are submitted via dropbox. A link will be provided to nominated students.
Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, and Vibes
1. Any two major scales played with swung eighth notes
2. A 30 second excerpt of a jazz standard or melody from a big band chart.
Piano and Guitar
- A 45 second excerpt of a jazz standard or melody from a big band chart with comping.
- A 30 second excerpt of walking bass line over a jazz standard or melody from a big band chart.
- Demonstration of swing, Latin, and funk feels (10-20 seconds each)
Optional Requirement: Students who wish to be considered for a solo chair are to record themselves improvising for 1-2 choruses over a jazz standard with a backing track.