Fitness & Recreation Reopening Plan
As part of a gradual reestablishment plan, the SDSU Wellness Center will be reopening in a phased approach for SDSU students and members. Limited hours began Monday, June 1, 2020, with additional amenities becoming available periodically.
For information on area-specific hours & special closure dates, please visit the link below:
Precautions are being enacted to provide a safe environment so our members have an opportunity to resume an active lifestyle. Cleaning will be conducted during regular intervals throughout the day, as well as deep cleaning during our daily 1-3 p.m. facility closures. Wellness Center staff will follow CDC, as well as American College of Sports Medicine and American College Health Association guidelines.
All students and members will be required to sign a new waiver, which can be found on the Wellness Center portal or in the SDState Wellness Center App. To sign the waiver online you will just need to sign-in & you will be prompted to sign our waiver.
The waiver can also be signed during your first visit.
- Guidelines and expectations for patrons and staff to create a safe work-out environment:
- Patrons experiencing a cough, fever, body aches or other COVID-19 symptoms are not to use the facility until recovered.
- Patrons who have had contact with someone exhibiting these symptoms are also asked to refrain from using the Wellness Center.
- All patrons are to use the Northeast entrance only.
- Clear plastic service windows will protect patrons and staff at all check-in locations.
- Practice 6-foot social distancing guidelines at all times while circulating in the facility.
- Equipment will be marked off, or moved, to adhere to appropriate social distancing.
- The free-weight area will have individualized workout spaces indicated by floor markings.
- An area for patrons with high-risk factors will be available and designated with signage.
- Patrons will be directed to wipe or spray down equipment prior to, and after, each use.
- Patrons are asked to complete their workout and depart the facility without any unnecessary socializing.
Face Covering Protocol
Effective on August 1, 2020 South Dakota State University implemented a campus wide face covering protocol. This protocol requires all campus facility users to wear a face covering. For information regarding this protocol please visit the University's Face Covering Protocol Page.
The Miller Wellness Center's face covering protocol will be as follows:
Face coverings must be worn when:
- Entering the facility
- Transitioning through the facility
- Exiting the facility
Face covering may be removed when:
- You are under physical exertion
- It is a situation where wearing a covering comprises your safety and welfare
Effective Monday, August 10, 2020 any facility user who does not adhere to the protocols outlined above will not be granted access to the facility or will be asked to leave the facility.
All patrons must spray and wipe down equipment in the Miller Wellness Center prior to, and after, each use. Sanitation supplies are available throughout the facility.
Additional information regarding best practices when using a fitness facility in a pandemic environment are available at on the American College of Sports Medicine website and the American College Health Association website.
Pre-registration is now required for all group fitness classes. To register, log in to the member portal or download the Wellness Center App for easy access to fitness class listings, upcoming events, facility information and more! Find the app in Google Play and the App Store.
Due to limited spots available per class, pre-registration is now required for group fitness classes. Follow the link for more information on how to register.
The Miller Wellness Center Climbing Wall no longer requires patrons to register for a climb time. Patrons who wish to climb may drop-in during our open hours, register in-person, and climb for as long as they please.
- Q: Which amenities are not available?
A: Studios B & C, drinking fountains (bottle fillers still available) and communal mats.
- Q: Who has access to the facility?
A: SDState students and Miller Wellness Center members have access to the facility.
New memberships, guest passes and multi-visit passes may be purchased at the Welcome Desk.
- Q: Do all SDSU students have access?
A: Students registered for any class at SDSU during the Spring 2021 semester will be granted access through May 9, 2021.
Students who are registered for classes during the Summer or Fall of 2021 will be granted access beginning on May 10, 2021 or any time they complete their registration after this date.
Access will be given to registrations for online, dual-credit, and AP credits through SDSU.
Anyone not registered for classes under any of the conditions stated above must purchase a membership.
- Q: What precautions should I take?
A: The wearing of a face covering is required when entering, transitioning, and exiting the facility, but not while exercising. Users are highly encouraged to wipe off equipment before, and after use, for their own safety as well as the safety of other patrons.
Any individuals who are feeling ill or showing symptoms are asked to refrain from entering the facility.
- Q: Are you limiting the amount of people in the building at one time?
A: Benches and machines have been moved to encourage social distancing. Floor markings will also assist in keeping an appropriate distance from other patrons.
Capacities will be enforced over certain areas of the building.
- Q: Will there be in-person group fitness classes?
A: Yes, a limited number of group fitness classes will be offered and will be held on the MAC. Participants will scan in at the Welcome Desk before entering the MAC through the glass doors in the North hallway. A schedule for all classes can be found on the Group Fitness website.
- Q: Do I need to pre-register for group fitness classes?
A: Yes, pre-registration is now required for group fitness classes. There are limited spots available per class. For more information on registration please visit the page below:
- Q: Who do I contact for membership questions?
A: Please contact the Wellness Center’s general email for all membership questions. We may be contacted at email@example.com or 605-688-5521.
- Q: Can I use day or multi-visit passes to access the facility?
A: Yes. Day pass and multi-visit pass holders will be able to access the Miller Wellness Center.
Newly purchased multi-visit passes may only be used by one individual. Previously purchased multi-visit passes may continue to be used by multiple users, however, no new users may be added to a pass.
- Q: Who can park in the parking lot?
A: All paid memberships come with one parking permit per user to be used in the NE Wellness Center lot. There are designated spots marked for members to park when using the facility. In addition, students and employees with a commuter pass can park in the WC lot. Day pass users and multi-visit pass users will not receive a permit and are subject to ticketing.
- Q: Where should I park if I don’t have a parking permit?
A: Non-permit holding users should park in the economy lot on the east side of the stadium to the south of UPD. Another option is to utilize the Union pay lot to the south of the Wellness Center. Parking is enforced Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Q: Am I able to change in the locker rooms or shower after my workout?
A: Student's and members may use the locker rooms to change and shower. Towel service without a locker is also available or an individual towel is $1. The restrooms in each of the locker rooms are also accessible.
- Q: Am I able to use a locker in the locker rooms?
A. Downstairs locker room lockers are for rent only. You may purchase a locker rental (includes towel service) at the Welcome Desk. Lockers that are not currently rented will remain locked.
- The first inlet of lockers in each first floor locker room will be unlocked for public use.
- Second floor locker room lockers will remain unlocked.
- Q: Are day lockers available for use?
A: Day lockers are available for use. Cubbies are also located throughout the facility in which you may store your personal belongings. It is highly encouraged that you bring as little as possible into the facility in order to complete your workout.
Patrons are asked to wipe out the locker after use.
- Q: Will I be able to check out equipment?
A: Recreational equipment will be available for checkout.
Equipment will be sanitized after each use.
- Q: Can I use the gym courts?
A: Courts 1-3 are available for use. As of January 2021, pick-up play will be permitted (5v5, 1v1, etc.). Each court has a capacity of 20. Any patron not participating (i.e. standing on the sidelines) must be wearing a face covering.
Pickleball, Tennis & Badminton (2v2) and Soccer (4v4) may be played on Court 3. Please ask staff at Welcome Desk for assistance in set up.
Cardio equipment is available for patron use on Court 4.
- Q: Are you hosting birthday parties or external events?
A: The Miller Wellness Center may begin hosting birthday parties, University events, and external events at a limited capacity.
Visit our Reservations & Events page for more information.
- Q: Are you offering outdoor equipment rentals?
A: We are offering outdoor equipment rentals.
Please call 605-697-9355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.