The Wellness Center Climbing Wall provides challenges and fun for beginner and experienced climbers alike.
Come try out all of our climbing areas! The pinnacle measures at 35 ft. There is also a 25 ft climbing wall and 12 ft bouldering area! All students and members are welcome to use the climbing areas during staffed hours, but climbers may use the bouldering wall any time.
Academic Year Hours
|Day of Week||Hours|
|Monday-Thursday||4:00 - 9:00pm|
|Friday-Sunday||4:00 - 8:00pm|
The Miller Wellness Center Climbing Wall will require all patrons who wish to climb to register for an open climb time. Time slots are 50 minutes and users may register for up to two 50 minute climbs (may be back-to-back) per day. We may only accommodate up to 8 climbers per 50 minutes.
2020 - 2021 Academic Year Policy Changes
Please read the following policy changes being implemented at the Climbing Wall this year:
- All climbers will adhere by the campus wide Face Covering Protocol. View the Miller Wellness Center's specific face covering policy HERE.
- All climbers will need to register for a climb time online, through the Wellness Center app, or at the Welcome Desk.
- Only 8 spots are available per 50 minutes.
- Chalk will not be provided and should not be shared between climbers, but all forms of chalk are able to be used.
- Liquid chalk will also be available for purchase at the Welcome Desk.
- All climbers will be expected to utilize hand sanitizer (provided at the wall) between each route. Liquid chalk containing 60% or higher ABV will suffice as well.
- To assist in adhering to social distancing every other rope/route will be closed and alternated daily.
- Climbing Wall staff will sanitize all equipment between each 50 minute climb session & wipe down route climbing holds at the end of each day.
- No one may climb outside of our staffed climbing hours.
Virtual Climbing Resources
Programming, Certification, & Class Offerings
Attend the class and learn climbing basics, terms, techniques, knots, & safety. Each class is limited to six participants. Certifications are good through the entire academic year.
- Non-Members will also be required to purchase a Guest Pass to take the class.
Take the next step in enhancing your climbing skills by learning the the basics of lead climbing and belaying. Maximum of six participants per class.
Prerequisites - Belay certified. Ability to climb and belay a 5.8 level top-rope route.
Learn how to safely rappel the climbing wall using specialized equipment and proper technique. Participants will be able to descend the climbing wall pinnacle for the completion of the clinic.
Participants will learn bouldering and climbing basics, wall terminology and climbing commands, play exciting climbing games, and much more!
*Unfortunately Rock Rabbits will not be offered for the Fall 2020 Academic Semester.*
Commonly Asked Questions:
- Who can use the climbing area?
The climbing area is open to any SDSU student or Wellness Center member. Guests are also permitted, but they must purchase a day or multi-visit pass.
- What does the Climbing Wall cost?
Use of the climbing area is free to students and members.
- Can I reserve the Climbing Wall?
The climbing wall is currently not able to be reserved.
- What kind of equipment do I need?
The climbing area provides climbing shoes, and a harness at no charge. Participants are welcome to bring their own equipment as well. Climbing Wall staff will inspect personal equipment for cleanliness & safety before use.
Dry chalk is not permitted to be used at the Wall for the 2020-2021 academic year. Climbers must use a liquid chalk with at least 60% ABV.
- The wall isn't open. Can I still climb?
No. Students and members may only climb during our open climb times and must be pre-registered. As a change for the 2020-2021 academic year, the bouldering wall is no longer available during non-staffed times.
- Is there any training or skill required to climb?
No prior training is required to climb. Wellness Center employees are available to belay.
Certification & instructional classes are available for registration as well.
- I was previously belay certified. Do I have to take the class again?
If you already know how to belay, you can take the belay skills test. Register for a climb time, pay the $5 re-certification fee, & present your receipt to the Climbing Wall staff.
Or you may purchase the re-certification in person at the Welcome Desk.