The History of Mechanical Engineering at South Dakota State University
South Dakota State University (originally known as the Dakota Agricultural College) was established in 1881 by an act of the Dakota Territorial Legislature. The first official academic year was 1884-85. Mechanical Engineering was one of the five original programs of study offered at the institution. Upon the admission of the State of South Dakota to the Union in 1889, the college became the state's Land Grant institution. The Mechanical Engineering program was first accredited in 1936.