The Mechanical Engineering program at South Dakota State University offers programs of study leading to a variety of careers in a challenging and rewarding profession. Mechanical Engineers develop ways to safely and sustainably use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of humankind. They rely on a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained through study, experience, and practice.
We encourage you to explore the links in the navigation menu to learn more about us and our programs.
The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering program at South Dakota State University is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. Our faculty members are dedicated to guiding students to develop their full potential as creative and effective problem solvers and leaders. In addition to their work with the academic courses and laboratories, a wide variety of research and technical service projects are being carried out by the faculty. Current projects include:
- Development and applications of new materials
- Emerging fabrication techniques, including additive manufacturing (3D Printing)
- State-of-the-art materials testing systems
- Renewable energy development
- Robotics and autonomous systems
- Computational fluid dynamics and high-performance computer modeling and simulation
- Development of advanced heat transfer devices
- Improving process energy efficiency
- Biomedical applications
Our students have the opportunity to participate in many of these projects as well as other engineering projects sponsored by industries and agencies throughout the region. Students gain experience through design projects conducted within the curriculum as well as numerous opportunities for internships.