The Mechanical Engineering program at South Dakota State University offers programs of study leading to a variety of careers in a challenging and rewarding profession. Mechanical Engineers develop ways to safely and sustainably use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of humankind. They rely on a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained through study, experience, and practice.
We encourage you to explore the links in the navigation menu to learn more about us and our programs. Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Master of Science (M.S) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
The Mechanical Engineering (B.S.) program at South Dakota State University is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org . Our faculty members are dedicated to guiding students to develop their full potential as creative and effective problem solvers and leaders. In addition to their work in the classroom, our faculty members are involved in a wide variety of research activities. Current projects include:
- Biomedical applications
- Biomaterials development
- Computational fluid dynamics and high-performance computer modeling and simulation
- Emerging fabrication techniques, including additive manufacturing (3D Printing)
- Methods for characterizing material properties
- Flight control for aerial and space vehicles
- Renewable energy development
- Development and applications of new materials
- Robotics and autonomous systems
- Development of advanced heat transfer devices
- Improving process energy efficiency
Our students have the opportunity to participate in many of these projects as well as other engineering projects sponsored by industries and agencies throughout the region. Students gain experience through design projects conducted within the curriculum as well as numerous opportunities for internships.