McCrory Gardens is hiring NOW for *summer positions!
Experience working in the hospitality, tourism and event management industry right here at SDSU.
*Are you available to work NOW and stay for the summer? Even better!
Season: Up to 30 hours per week depending on events happening at McCrory – starting date and ending date depend on events needs and schedules Hours: Variable – Weekend, evening, and night hours are required, some holidays may be required as well.
Pay: According to experience and qualifications for year-round regular part-time. Paid positions are $12/hour.
Job Description: Person in this role will be an employee of McCrory Gardens and South Dakota State University under the general supervision of the Venue Sales and Services Coordinator and the Director of McCrory Gardens and will play an important part in assisting with scheduled events, primarily during the spring, summer, and fall seasons, with potential to extend employment possible through the holiday season. Together with a team of garden staff, volunteers, and other SDSU entities, as well as the McCrory Gardens administrative team, the Guest and Venue Services staff position responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assisting with events - taking reservation request/inquiry, coordinating room layout, catering communications, greeting customer, AV equipment set up, flexibility in rearranging to customer’s needs, and take down/clean up after event.
• Set-up and take-down of event equipment (chairs, tables, etc.) inside & outside.
• General and thorough cleaning & trash removal during and at conclusion of events, to include cleanup of the unexpected.
• Safe and efficient operation of garden vehicles for the hauling of materials as well as the transport of guests.
• Staff the Welcome Desk as needed greeting customers, processing admission, sales and inventory in the gift shop and operating the payment systems.
• Keeping the Education & Visitor Center and Straw Bale House clean and tidy for visitors and events.
• Strong work ethic
• Flexible, dependable, and punctual
• Able to work nonstandard hours such as early morning or late into the night for banquets and weddings (sometimes after midnight), weekends and holidays (allowed to miss up to two wedding weekends during busy wedding season May-Dec)
• Able to assist with event organize from start to finish
• Excellent communication skills, appropriately assertive with clients/guests/visitors
• Team player, creative, detail oriented, and organized
• Willing to work in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
• Bending and lifting up to 50 lbs., able to move and set up tables and chairs for indoor and outdoor events, sometimes alone
• Willing to learn to become certified and drive equipment (gators with a trailer, golf cart)
• Self-motivated with the ability to work alone and in groups, also organizing volunteers
• Using initiative in anticipating and knowing what needs to be done and doing it
• Enthusiastic, work to high standards and ability to take direction
• Professional communication and work attire is required. Proper footwear for setting up indoor and outdoor events. McCrory staff and volunteers represent McCrory Gardens and SDSU.
• Valid driver’s license
• Background check required
Contact Information: Lori Puetz, McCrory Gardens Venue Sales and Services Coordinator, 631 22nd Ave, Brookings, SD 57007 (605)688-6707 email@example.com