Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions relating primarily to Weddings, Meetings and Events held at McCrory Gardens and the McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center. For all other inquiries please contact us at 605-688-6707 or email us.
Are we required to pay for our Photography in the gardens on the day of our event?
Photography fees are waived for engagement and wedding photos. A photography membership is available for $125.00 annually which includes unlimited visits. Day passes are $25.00. Both include garden admission for your guests. South Dakota State University does not allow the use of drones. Photographs of your event may be taken by the McCrory Gardens staff for educational or promotional purposes only. Any such photography would not interfere with your ceremony or your professional photographer and will not be sold.
- What is your decoration policy both in the gardens and in the Education & Visitor Center?
Within the Center, our policy follows that of SDSU:
- No candles or any other open flame will be allowed. LED candles are recommended
- Only fire resistant materials can be used for any decorations.
- Nothing may be hung from the ceiling.
- Nothing may be mounted, taped, pinned, tacked or nailed to the buildings, fences, furniture, flower pots, etc.
- All decorations must be placed away from heaters or other heat-producing devices.
- All decorations, signs, dance floors and related event materials brought in by the renter must be removed at the conclusion of the event.
- Balloon releasing, rice, confetti, glitter, birdseed, fake flower petals and fireworks are NOT PERMITTED. Soap bubbles, real flower petals, butterfly and dove releases are permitted.
- Candles are only permitted if they are Unity Candles. For other light decorations, we recommend the use of LED candles.
- Is smoking allowed in your facility, gardens and arboretum?
McCrory Gardens is a "clean air" public garden and consistent with University policy, use of tobacco products (cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, smokeless tobacco, vapor-based products, etc.) is not permitted on any University property, including all campus grounds inside and out, parking areas and vehicles on the property.
- Do you provide a dance floor?
We do not own a dance floor, but they can be rented from the Party Depot, 605-697-9333.
- How many vehicles are able to park at McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center?
We have 96 parking spots available at our facility and 44 parking spots available at the west parking lot. Lot 25 near the Performing Arts Center is also available for parking after 5 p.m. weekdays and weekends. For more information contact us.
- Will we receive our money back if we must have a cancellation?
With any cancellation, the down payment is not refundable. The damage deposit and final payment of rentals fees are refundable for events cancelled at least 90 days prior to the ceremony. If the reservation is cancelled less than 90 days prior to the ceremony, the final payment is forfeited. McCrory Gardens reserves the right to cancel any event due to violation of the Facilities Use Agreement.
- What is your policy regarding bad weather?
Client cannot hold McCrory Gardens responsible for failure to provide the garden space and services due to emergencies, catastrophes or interruption of public utilities. If an Act of God were to occur preventing the ceremony from taking place as scheduled, McCrory Gardens will allow for the ceremony to be rescheduled, pending availability, with no penalty. Cancellations of ceremony due to inclement weather will not be considered for refund.
- Are we required to clean-up after ourselves the night of the event?
We will take care of all set up and tear down of our tables and chairs for your event. You are required to set up and take down all decorations. All decorations, signs, dance floors and related event materials brought in by the renter must be removed at the conclusion of the event.
- What time must we be out of the McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center?
We require all parties to shut down their event by midnight and have their items and guests removed from the facility by 12:30 a.m.
- Are we able to have beer and wine at our reception or event?
SDSU Catering can offer you wine and malted beverages of your choice. All beer and wine must be purchased from SDSU Catering. The McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center and the back Terrace Gardens are the two areas that alcoholic beverages are allowed. No outside alcohol is allowed. Prior permission is required, with alcohol permits needing to be completed up to 45 days in advance of the event.
What is the maximum number of guests that can fit into the Great Hall?
For the safety and comfort of guests, a maximum of 250 people is the capacity of the Great Hall for any form of dining event. This number includes the wedding party.
- Is your Center wheelchair accessible? Do you have a wheelchair available for use?
Yes, our center is wheelchair accessible and we have one for our guest’s use.
- What catering services are approved for your venue?
We have an exclusive agreement with SDSU Catering. They can be reached at 605-697-2571 or email. Website for SDSU Catering is http://sdsucatering.catertrax.com.
- Where can I rent extra tables, chairs or tents?
Past parties have worked with:
- Party Depot 605-697-9333
- Rental Depot 605-697-8044
- Does the Great Hall have AV equipment?
We have 2 projectors, 2 projector screens, an iPod hookup, computer hookups, DVD player and 2 wireless and 2 lapel microphones for your complimentary use with your rental of the space. We also have wireless outdoor audio speakers with microphones, available for rent.