The SDSU Department of Mathematics and Statistics is a large, diverse, and active organization, as is evidenced by a few facts and figures:
- The department consists of 37 faculty and staff members located in both Brookings and Sioux Falls.
- We currently have 148 undergraduate math majors and 84 graduate students in our five degree programs.
- In addition to the Bachelor’s in Mathematics and Minor in Statistics, we offer the one-year MS in Data Science, the MS in Mathematics, the MS in Statistics, and the PhD in Computational Science and Statistics.
- Our curriculum includes a broad range of challenging and highly applicable undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Our undergraduate majors can specialize in computational science, data science, financial engineering, or mathematics education.
- Our graduate students can specialize in an extremely wide range of areas.
- In addition to teaching, we carry out wide-ranging research and consulting activity in both mathematics and statistics.
Though our students do indeed "go anywhere from here" and our research has broad impact, our focus is on serving the needs of the state and region. We work with the region’s best and brightest young people and prepare them for the best careers in the mathematical sciences, both in this region and beyond. Our research and consulting is both nationally and regionally relevant, and helps promote regional economic growth.
We are always looking for new ways to serve the region, and our always open to feedback about how we're doing. Feel free to contact us with information about opportunities or feedback by emailing department head Kurt Cogswell. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!