The long-term goals of our research are:
- to develop germplasm with improved tolerance to abiotic and biotic stresses
- to generate genetic and genomic resources for taking forward wheat research
The Li lab at SDState is focused on understanding genetics, genomics and evolution of wheat and its relatives and utilize the knowledge for germplasm enhancement:
- CRISPR-based genome editing of grain size regulators for novel variation to increase wheat genetic yield potential.
- Dissecting the sea wheatgrass genome to transfer biotic stress resistance and abiotic stress tolerance into wheat.
- Root Development and VSR.
- Understanding cuticular wax biosynthesis in wheat and its role in drought tolerance.
- Speciation of diploid and polyploid wheat and relative species and role of chromosome rearrangements.