Good Afternoon Students & Members – The SDSTATE Wellness Center has missed you and we are ready to welcome you back!
Since the beginning of May, South Dakota State University leadership has been developing and planning for a phased return for certain SDSU employees beginning June 1. This is the first step in an effort to resuming on-campus operations that will include face-to-face instruction during the fall 2020 academic year.
As part of the phased reopening, the SDSU Wellness Center will be reopening in a phased approach for SDSU students and current community members with limited hours beginning Monday, June 1, 2020. Operating hours will be:
- Monday through Friday: 5 - 9 a.m., 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., and 4 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday: 7 - 9 a.m., and Noon - 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Noon - 5:00 p.m.
Extensive precautions are being enacted to provide a safe environment, so our members have an opportunity to resume an active lifestyle. Cleaning will be conducted during regular intervals throughout the day, as well as deep cleaning during facility closures. Wellness Center staff will follow CDC guidelines as well as American College of Sports Medicine and American College Health Association guidelines.
Guidelines and expectations for patrons and staff to create a safe work-out environment:
- Patrons experiencing a cough, fever, body aches or other COVID symptoms are not to use the facility until recovered. Patrons in a home, work setting or who have had contact with someone exhibiting these symptoms are also to refrain from using the Wellness Center.
- All patrons are to use the northeast entrance only.
- Clear plastic service windows will protect patrons and staff at all check-in locations.
- Practice 6-foot social distancing guidelines at all times while circulating in the facility.
- Equipment will be marked off or moved to adhere to appropriate social distancing.
- The free-weight area will have individualized work out spaces indicated by floor markings.
- An area for patrons from higher-risk populations will be available and indicated.
- Patrons will be directed to wipe or spray down equipment prior to and after use.
- Patrons are asked to complete their workout and depart the facility any unnecessary socializing.
- At this time, no new members or short-term passes will be permitted.
- Climbing wall and pool access will be phased in at a later date.
- Limited in-person group fitness classes will be offered.
- Locker rooms, and showers will not be open in this initial phase; only the restroom components of these facilities will be accessible.
Additional information regarding best practices when using a fitness facility in a pandemic environment are available at on the American College of Sports Medicine website and the American College Health Association website.
All students and members will be required to sign a new waiver, which can be found on the Wellness Center portal https://wellnesscenter.sdstate.edu/ or in the SDSTATE Wellness Center App. The waiver can also be signed during your first visit.
We will be providing a Q&A page on our web-page under the COVID-19 Responses & Updates Tab. Any questions can be directed to our Wellness Center email: firstname.lastname@example.org.