The primary mission of the English Language and Culture Institute at SDSU is to prepare and educate English language learners to engage in academic contexts in the American higher education system, engage in civic and critical dialogues, and become empowered global citizens.
- Low cost: $5,763
- Low student to teacher ratio
- Cultural excursions
- TOEFL test registration and transportation provided once per semester
- Critical thinking focus
- Student centered
- 1 credit hour earned per semester
Our program consists of one level. Students can expect to complete ESL in one to two semesters based on proficiency.
Full-time Enrollment: 21 hours of study a week.
Please note, at this time we do not offer an online course.
- 8 hours - Listening and Speaking
- 8 hours - Reading and Writing
- 3 hours - Culture
- 2 hours - Communication Workshop
- TOEFL iBT - 45
- IELTS - 5
- DuoLingo English Test - 70
- June 15: Application Deadline
- August 19-23: New International Student Orientation
- August 26-December 10: Fall Classes
- November 15: Application Deadline
- January 6-10: New International Student Orientation
- January 13-May 8: Spring Classes
What students are saying about the ELCI
“It’s the best study experience I ever had because the teachers are like friends and the English knowledge I learned from this program is like a gift not a task for me.”
– ELCI Undergraduate Student, China, Spring 2015
“In my first class, my teacher asked me to take out a sheet of paper, but I didn’t understand anything she said. Now, I can fill up an entire notebook. I can’t believe how much my English has improved.”
– ELCI Undergraduate Student, Saudi Arabia, Spring 2015