Agronomy,Horticulture, & Plant Sci
1910 W Kemp Ave
Watertown, SD 57201
Extension Field Specialist I-Forage
General Position Description:
Development and dissemination of research-based programming and resources in support of producers growing and utilizing forages; such as alfalfa and grass hays, cover crops, silage, and grazing systems.
Forage production and use of forages for biomass production.
Areas of Study/Academic Interests:
Ph.D. South Dakota State University. Plant Science (2013)
M.S. University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. Animal Science. (2008)
B.S. University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. Animal Science (2005)
No formal academic responsibilities at this point.
Forages production and use of cover crops.
Leading learning communities; ability to conduct impact programming based on local needs assessments; commitment to the development of emerging technology materials for program development and delivery; ability to collaborate on emerging issues; and develop relationships with pertinent stakeholders.
American Society of Agronomy (ASA-CSSA-SSSA)
Midwest Forage Association (MFA)
Publications in progress:
1. Karla Hernandez, Vance Owens, Arvid Boe, Jose Gonzalez, Peter Sexton, Dokyoung Lee, and Ezra Aberle (2012) Prairie cordgrass and switchgrass for biomass production on lower and upper backslopes in South Dakota, North Dakota, and Illinois. Bioenergy Research Journal.
2. Karla Hernandez, Vance Owens, Arvid Boe, Jose Gonzalez, Peter Sexton, and Richard Wynia (2012) Above-and-below-ground prairie cordgrass response to applied nitrogen on marginal land. Bioenergy Research Journal.
3. Karla Hernandez, Vance Owens, Arvid Boe, Jose Gonzalez, and Richard Wynia (2012) Morphology and chemical characterization of biomass in Red River and Atkins prairie cordgrass. Bioenergy Research Journal.
4. Karla Hernandez, Vance Owens, Arvid Boe, Jose Gonzalez, and Sam Dwire (2012) Comparison of chemical composition of selected populations of prairie cordgrass for biomass production. Bioenergy Research Journal.
1. B.R. Min, W.E. Pinchak, K. Hernandez, C. Hernandez, M.E. Hume, E. Valencia, and J.D. Fulford (2012) Effects of Plant Tannin Supplementation on Animal Responses and In Vivo Ruminal Bacterial Populations Associated with Bloat in Heifers Grazing Wheat Forage. The Professional Animal Scientist 28 (2012): 464-472
2. Hernandez K, Valencia-Chin E, Rodriguez A (2007) Calliandra calothyrsus and Arachis pintoi supplementation effects on animal health and gastrointestinal nematodes infestation and condensed tannin extract effects on Haemonchus contortus larval motility. University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez.
1. Karla Hernandez and Vance Owens, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD. A10 Bioenergy and Agroindustrial Systems. Annual meeting presentation based on "Prairie cordgrass (Spartina pectinata, Link) yield response to nitrogen on marginal lands during 2008 through 2010". Long Beach, CA.
2.Karla Hernandez and Vance Owens, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD. 2009. "Prairie cordgrass (Spartina pectinata, Link) yield response to nitrogen on marginal lands". Pittsburgh, PA.
3.KAH. Valentin, BR. Min, E. Valencia, A. Rodriguez, WE Pinchak. 2007. In vitro larval activity and in vivo gastrointestinal parasites infestation in goats grazing tropical legumes. San Antonio, TX.