A Strategic Vision for Hilton M. Briggs Library
The Hilton M. Briggs Library inspires academic excellence, collaborative endeavor, creative scholarship, student engagement, and lifelong curiosity.
The Hilton M. Briggs Library will be a center for research, learning, preservation, and discovery. The library’s collections, spaces, and services empower and transform the intellectual and creative life of the communities it serves.
- Excellence and responsiveness for the benefit of library users
- Ready and equal access to all library resources
- Education and lifelong learning
- Diversity in thought and practice
- Intellectual freedom
- Library users’ rights to confidentiality and privacy
- Stewardship and preservation of the library’s collections
- Inclusive environment welcoming to all
- Informed global citizenship
- Integration of the university’s land-grant mission
Goals & Strategies
Goal 1: Provide robust collections that represent multiple perspectives and advance learning, research, scholarship, and creative activity.
- Facilitate university scholarship by providing ready access to a diverse array of resources.
- Ensure that collections align with the teaching and research priorities of the university and its land grant mission.
- Solicit, preserve, and provide access to archives and special collections of significance to the history and life of the university and state.
- Digitize collections of highest interest to library users.
- Maximize access to resources, balancing both costs and availability.
- Serve as a leader in the adoption of open educational resources and open access.
Goal 2: Offer welcoming, accessible environments that nurture creativity, collaboration, reflection, and engagement.
- Maintain a dynamic web presence to enable discovery of and access to library resources and inform users about library services.
- Leverage the preliminary building renovation plan to create spaces that meet the needs of a diverse student body.
- Update signage to direct, inform, and engage library users.
- Anticipate technology trends to provide innovative resources that facilitate student success.
Goal 3: Foster academic excellence, facilitate learning and research, and stimulate personal growth of students, faculty, and staff through effective responsive services.
- Cultivate lifelong inquiry by coordinating and delivering a cohesive program of information literacy instruction.
- Provide research assistance and expertise to facilitate intellectual and creative exploration by library users.
- Provide programs and events to promote learning, diversity, and cultural enrichment.
- Pursue internal collaboration and external partnerships to further learning and academic achievement and cross-campus initiatives.
- Identify and prioritize ways to advance student success efforts and outcomes.
Goal 4: Cultivate resources and direct them to highest priority services, collections, and spaces.
- Utilize emerging tools and adopt new strategies to provide resources to meet the needs of library users and to address changing practices in the publishing industry.
- Use creative and traditional methods to pursue grants, fundraising, and public/private partnerships that align with and strengthen services, collections, and facilities.
- Develop and implement Lean processes to enhance efficiency and efficacy of library practices and procedures.
- Continuously evaluate and prioritize services, collections, spaces, and resources for focused and efficient management.
- Serve as a leader within the state and region for innovation in access, service, and preservation.