Dietetics and Health Sciences Club
The Dietetics and Health Sciences club is an organization with events and activities that apply to majors regarding dietetics, nutrition, and health, specifically. It is targeted at Dietetics, Nutritional Sciences, Food, and Hospitality majors, but anyone can participate. It promotes camaraderie among those in your specialization and practical service learning. Members are exposed to numerous professional development and community service opportunities throughout the school year. Those that elect to participate can take a professional development trip with the organization at the end of the year. Members can receive funding for their trip by accumulating points by volunteering for the scheduled functions throughout the year. Being active in DHS club encourages individuals to engage in leadership and extra curricular activities through the available, unique experiences.
Contact: Kendra Kattelmann, PhD RD LN
Exercise Science Club
The purpose of the Exercise Science Club is to generate interest in the field of exercise science, promote interaction between Pre-Exercise Science and Exercise Science majors, provide exercise science-related extracurricular opportunities, and encourage wellness through exercise. The Exercise Science Club annually implements the Pump & Run event and the Ready For Summer Triathlon in collaboration through the SDSU Wellness Center. The Exercise Science Club strives promote participation in physical activity and generate new and exciting fitness event ideas for the SDSU campus and Brookings community.
Contact: Jessica Meendering, PhD
HEROH (Helping Everyone Reach Optimal Health)
The HEROH student organization promotes healthy ideas and concepts to SDSU students & staff and Community members to encourage them to adopt healthy behaviors. The programming focuses on helping reduce lifestyle risk factors to enhance personal, academic, and career success. Educational brochures and materials are available in the Wellness Center Resource Room and at the annual Wellness fair, Bi-monthly 'Wellness Wednesdays' and other health observance events. A team of student peer educators entitled HEROH (Helping Everyone Reach Optimal Health) operate as an extension of the Wellness Center to provide campus wide health promotion campaigns to educate & encourage healthy lifestyles.
Contact: Mariah Weber
Wellness Center 106
Park and Recreation Management Club
Park and Recreation Management (PRM) Club. Provide service to various community groups with a focus on park and recreation activities. PRM Club also participates in various fundraisers and attends state, regional and national conferences for professional development and networking.
Athletic Training Student Association
First and second year professional students of the Athletic Training Education Program are eligible for participation in the Athletic Training Student Association. The primary purpose of the association is to encourage collegiality between students while promoting professionalism and community service. This association is recognized by South Dakota State University. The objectives of this organization shall be:
- To develop and maintain standards for improvement of athletic training education and practice at South Dakota State University.
- The advancement, encouragement, and improvement of the athletic training profession in accordance with the standards, rules, and guidelines of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA).
- To promote better working relationships among those persons interested and involved with problems inherent in caring for the health and well being of the athlete.
- To further develop the abilities of each of its members.
- To serve the common interest of its members by providing a means for a free exchange of ideas within the organization.
- To promote legislation to protect the interests of the public and the rights of qualified persons involved in the practice of athletic training.
- To provide such services as will further the objectives of the Association.
Contact: Trevor Roiger, EdD, ATC