The overall goal(s) of the graduate programs are to provide students with the knowledge and experiences that improve the depth and breadth of professional competency, enhance written and oral communication, and promote scholarly pursuits and scientific research to inform practice and/or prepare them for advanced study at the doctoral level.
Application Process for Graduate School
- Application to Graduate School: Students applying for a program of study in the Health and Nutritional Sciences Department will first need to complete an application to the graduate school. The Graduate School asks applicant to complete an online application, provide transcripts of all college work complete, and submit an application fee.
- Application for the Department: Once the Graduate School Office has all materials and has completed a preliminary review, they will forward your application to the department. The department requires an additional application. The form can be returned to Kathy Elenkiwich or mailed to the Health and Nutritional Sciences Department, SWG 425, Box 2275A, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Applications are due by March 31. It is also advisable to contact the faculty within the department to determine their interest and ability to accept graduate students. An advisor must be available and willing to work with you to be accepted to the program. The Notification Letter of the decision of admittance or not will come from the SDSU Graduate School.
- Graduate Assistantships: A limited number of graduate assistantships are available in the department. To receive a graduate assistantship, you must be accepted into one of the MS program of study. In addition to completing the University graduate application and the Health and Nutritional Sciences Department application, students should:
- Submit a cover letter identifying the graduate teaching/research assistantship you would like to be considered for; and description of the skills and abilities that would qualify you for the assistantship.
- Any additional reference contact information (if different from the references for the graduate school or department).
The College of Education and Human Sciences offers scholarships annually to students enrolled in the college. The Student Online Scholarship Application is available on MyState under the "My Info" tab. The application window is between mid December to early February. Students can look for announcements on MyState along with several banners/pamphlets hanging throughout campus.
For additional information contact:
Department of Health & Nutritional Sciences
College of Education and Human Sciences
SWG 425, Box 2275A
Brookings, SD 57007