The NDI at SDSU consists of three plans of study tracks with a maximum of 15 interns selected each year.
- Track 1: Master’s degree seeking students who will complete required coursework and a critical review paper to meet graduate degree requirements + supervised practice hours for the dietetic internship. (degree seeking)
- Track 2: Master’s degree seeking students who will complete required coursework and a research thesis to meet graduate degree requirements + supervised practice hours for the dietetic internship. (degree seeking)
- Track 3: Individuals who already have a master’s degree who will complete supervised practice hours for the dietetic internship (non-degree seeking).
Up to 8 of the total 15 slots may be filled with individuals who meet preselect eligibility requirements and are accepted during the preselect process. Qualified applicants will be considered to fill the 15 available slots, with a preference for degree seeking students in tracks 1 or 2. Up to 3 individuals per year may be considered for Track 3.
The NDI program will consider students who have:
- A Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) verification statement from an ACEND-accredited DPD program and a bachelor’s degree from a US regionally accredited college or university. If a Declaration of Intent to complete an ACEND-accredited DPD program is provided during the application process, a DPD verification statement will be required before actually beginning the program.
- Computer Matching Process GPA eligibility: minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 based on a 4.0 system.
- TOEFL (department requirements): 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, 79-80 Internet-based; IELTS 6.0. Only applicable for International students.
- GRE: Required for applicants who did not graduate with a baccalaureate degree from SDSU. A minimum of 300 is preferred.
- Completed a DICAS application by the due dates specified in the NDI handbook.
Up to 8 individuals may be selected during the preselect process for the SDSU NDI. To be eligible for the preselect application process, students must be:
- Currently enrolled in the SDSU DPD Program with plans to complete by May of the spring cycle.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5, minimum Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) Professional GPA of 3.5 and a minimum Science GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 system
Current SDSU graduate students who have a degree from the SDSU DPD program are not eligible to apply during the preselect process but are encouraged to apply during the computer matching process.
A complete and uploaded DICAS application will be required for the preselect process with inclusion of official transcripts of Fall grades by January 15th of each calendar year. Notification of acceptance or rejection into the SDSU NDI for pre-select eligible applicants will occur by January 31. The number of pre-selected applicants that have been accepted into the SDSU NDI will be posted on the NDI website by February 1st of each calendar year. Interns accepted into the SDSU NDI program thru the pre-selection process must withdraw from DICAS and D&D Computer Match if they were registered. The SDSU NDI Program Director is required to e-mail a list of all preselected applicants who have accepted the internship to D& D Digital on February 1 of each calendar year. If an applicant is not pre-selected, they may apply again to the SDSU NDI through the usual computer matching process.
Program slots not filled through the pre-selection process will be filled through participation in the computer matching process via the D&D Digital Systems Computer Matching Process and DICAS Central Application System.
Deadlines will be in compliance with the spring internship match guidelines and all application materials will be submitted through the DICAS system. Additional deadlines and instructions regarding the Spring match can be viewed on the D&D Digital DI Matching Home webpage.
The prospective intern applicant is responsible for any fees associated with the DICAS application and D&D Digital. DICAS fees are $45 to submit the first application to 1 program designation and $20 for each additional designation. D&D Digital registration is $55.
DICAS application opens to allow applicants to begin their application in early December of each calendar year and closes in February of each calendar year. The dates specific to the DICAS spring cycle application year can be found through the DICAS portal.
Instructions for completing the DICAS application are also included on the above website and should be reviewed thoroughly by the applicant prior to submitting their application. Preselect eligible DICAS applications are due by Jan. 15th of each calendar year and deadlines for the DICAS application for applicants participating in the computer matching process will be in compliance with the DICAS and D&D Spring Cycle Deadlines.
DICAS application checklist for the SDSU NDI:
- Personal Statement - In addition to the personal statement points suggested in DICAS, include the following: Why does the SDSU NDI appeal to you and why do you think it could be a good fit to meet your goals? Word limit is 1,000 words or less.
- References - Three references are required with at least one reference from faculty in the undergraduate DPD dietetics program and at least one reference from an employer or volunteer work supervisor.
- Application Certification
- Program Designations
- DPD Course List Form
- Applicant and Educational Information
- GRE score - required for any students who did not complete their undergraduate DPD in dietetics program at SDSU. The GRE is not required for students who completed their undergraduate degree or graduate degree from SDSU or for students who already have a graduate degree from any university.
- TOEFL - Only required for international students.
- NDI Supplemental Form - Download and complete the SDSU NDI Supplemental form found below this bullet point. This form must be completed and uploaded under supplemental materials in the DICAS application.
NOTICE: If you downloaded a pdf fillable version of the NDI Supplemental form prior to Jan. 18th, then you may experience issues with the text disappearing after uploading the pdf document into DICAS under supplemental materials. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and we have contacted DICAS regarding this issue. To solve the issue, please download the above Word version of the NDI supplemental form, save as with: lastname_NDI_SupplementalForm and upload the Word version to DICAS under supplemental materials for our program. Thank you and please feel free to contact the NDI Program Director if you have additional questions! Becky.firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete DICAS application packets will not be considered. All components of the DICAS application must be completed. In the Awards, Experience and Volunteer Activities section, applicants are encouraged to be as thorough as possible. If awards, etc. were not received, indicate none instead of leaving the section blank.
The SDSU NDI does not have a separate application or application fee for the preselect or computer matching process apart from the application and fees associated with DICAS and D&D as noted above.
The SDSU NDI selection committee which is comprised of the NDI Program Director, HNS faculty and preceptors from management, clinical and community will review applications, score on a 100-point scale and provide feedback for selection consideration. Selection criteria evaluated include academic record, work and volunteer experiences, awards, scholarship, service, references and personal statement.
If selected into the SDSU NDI, admission is conditional and final approval will be dependent on the following:
- A signed Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) verification statement from an ACEND-accredited DPD program if not already provided during the application process.
- SDSU Graduate School acceptance. All applicants will be required to complete the SDSU Graduate School application found on the SDSU Graduate School webpage. The SDSU Graduate School application does not have to be completed until an intern has been selected to the NDI. Once accepted into the SDSU NDI, the Program Director will provide preselected and computer matched interns with further directiosn for completion of the online SDSU Graduate School application. Accepted interns will be responsible for paying the $35 application fee at the time of application.
- Criminal background check. The background check will be completed by Verified Credentials. The NDI Program Director will provide specific instructions and a program code for completing the background check.
The SDSU NDI can accept up to 15 interns each year. Up to 8 interns can be accepted during the preselect process. The SDSU NDI participates in the Spring Computer Match Process and follows the D&D Digital matching calendar for due dates.
2016 – The SDSU NDI selected 8 applicants during the preselect process.
2017 – The SDSU NDI selected 3 applicants during the preselect process.
2018- THE SDSU NDI selected 2 applicants during the preselect process.
2016 – The SDSU NDI was matched with 7 applicants during the 1st round of the Spring D&D Computer Match.
2017- The SDSU NDI was matched with 7 applicants during the 1st round of the Spring Computer Match and the remaining 5 slots were filled during the 2nd round Spring Match.
Please contact the Program Director, email@example.com or 605-688-6619 with any questions about the program or application process.
Please see the SDSU NDI Handbook for additional information: