The Vote in 2020: Discussing Voting Rights and the Women's Movement of Today and the Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction and Ally Awards
In celebration of Women’s History Month in March, SDSU’s Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies program announces the annual Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction and Ally Awards. These awards recognize the outstanding accomplishments of women and those who promote opportunities for historically marginalized groups at South Dakota State University, including through community activism and service. Five women and one ally will be honored.
Prior to the awards ceremony, we will hold a panel discussion about the current status of voting rights in the United States, as well as the status of the women’s movement in 2020. The panel is entitled: The Vote in 2020: Discussing Voting Rights and the Women's Movement of Today. Panelists will include the following individuals:
1) Dr. Lisa Hager, Assistant Professor of Political Science from the School of American & Global Studies, SDSU Poll
2) Dr. Evren Celik Wiltse, Associate Professor of Political Science from the School of American & Global Studies, SDSU Poll
3) Dr. Laura Renee Chandler, Director for the Center for Diversity & Community at the University of South Dakota and executive director of the board of the South Dakota African American History Museum at the Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls.
4) Sarah Estrella, Latin American Students' Association
5) Lorena Diaz-Martinez, Latin American Students' Association
6) Jennifer Vargas, Latin American Students' Association
7) Morgan Eick, Feminist Equality Movement
All Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction and Ally Award nominees will be recognized. The panel discussion will begin at 3:00, with the awards ceremony immediately following. We will have a light reception to conclude the day’s events from 4:30 – 5:00. Please join us to celebrate a century of U.S. women's suffrage!
Building Access Directions
If you need accommodation for this event, please contact Nadine Gjerde, ADA Coordinator, at 605-688-5585 or email@example.com at least 48 hours prior to the event.Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction Awards - nomination information