If a fire alarm sounds or if asked to evacuate, leave the building immediately.
The purpose of evacuating a building is to remove the occupants from dangerous and potentially life-threatening conditions presented by:
- A fire
- A suspected explosive device
- A hazardous material release
- Air contamination
- Active shooter
- Other life-threatening situation
When evacuating a building:
- Remain calm
- Proceed to the nearest safe exit
- Do not use the elevators
Assist disabled persons: if the person cannot be moved to the exit, ask the person to remain at that location, leave the building, and advise a firefighter or police officer of the person’s location.
Once outside, stay at least 500 feet from the building unless otherwise directed by a public safety official. Do not return until directed by a public safety official.
An emergency requiring the evacuation of the SDSU Campus is likely to be part of a larger evacuation. It is important to follow evacuation instructions.
Evacuating in a vehicle the primary egress routes for those leaving the campus in a vehicle are:
- Medary Ave, North to the Hwy 14 bypass or South to the City of Brookings
- 11th Street East to 22nd Ave and then North to the Hwy 14 bypass or South to the City of Brookings
- 8th Street West to Medary or East to 20th Ave. then South to 6th Street