Lyman G. Merry, Dell Rapids, South Dakota, has earned the respect and gratitude of his community neighbors for his pioneer achievements in modern farming methods, and for his unselfish labor in civic affairs.
Merry’s grandfather established a Dakota Territory homestead, just east of Dell Rapids, South Dakota, in 1872. This homestead became Lyman’s farm in 1926, shortly after he married Rosa Heeren and has since been both the family home and a proving ground for advanced farming ideas.
Merry was one of the first in his area to practice a program of soil conservation. Neighboring farmers realized the value of conservation methods, and Lyman’s innovations were gradually adopted by others.
Merry received widespread recognition when, in 1952, he was awarded the top conservation award for Minnehaha County. In 1954 he was named a winner in the Sioux City Soil Conservation Farm competition. The Skelly Oil Company, in 1957, commended Merry for his method of “scientific farming and soil conservation.”
Lyman’s contributions to other farming activities include service as an officer of the Minnehaha County Crop Improvement Association, presidency of the County Livestock Improvement Association, service on the County Extension Board and participation in 4-H Club work. He has also assisted in many Dell Rapids, South Dakota, civic functions.
Merry was one of 14 South Dakotans selected by the People-to-People organization to participate in a goodwill trip to Europe. President Eisenhower authorized this program “to improve international relations and to learn to know and understand citizens of other countries.” Lyman’s interest in people and community affairs qualified him for the trip.
Mr. and Mrs. Merry are the parents of three children. Mrs. William Gollesch, (Genevieve), was graduated from Dakota Wesleyn and now lives with her husband in Denver, Colorado. George was the victim of a brain tumor during his senior year at South Dakota State University. David, a graduate of SDSU, is a technical writer in St. Paul, Minnesota.