Mrs. L. B. Croll was born at Marengo, Iowa. When she was a small girl her family moved to Dakota Territory, settling near Miller, South Dakota, where they endured the pioneering days of blizzards, wind storms and prairie fires. As a child, she amused herself by following buffalo trails, looking for buffalo horns and Indian arrowheads.
Mrs. Croll attended rural and Miller schools and a teachers’ college. She taught in the rural schools of Hand County for several years previous to her marriage.
In 1898 she married L. B. Croll of St. Lawrence, South Dakota, and moved to the 480-acre farm near St. Lawrence. The Crolls had five children—three boys and two girls.
Mrs. Croll was always active in community affairs, an ardent worker in the Presbyterian Church, a 4-H Club Leader, a member of the County Extension Board, and county chairman of the Home Extension clubs in Hand County.
After 1948 Mr. and Mrs. Croll lived in Brookings, South Dakota, where they retired from their farm in Hand County.
Before moving to Brookings, Mr. and Mrs. Croll had lived near St. Lawrence 50 years and on the same farm nearly 25 years.
Mrs. Croll had organized an extension club and a 4-H Girls Sewing club, was county chairman of the home demonstration committee for several years, and belong to the Degree of Honor. She had been president of her extension club and superintendent of the Sunday School.
Her principle leisure-time activities are reading and sewing.