Henry N. Dybvig was born near Dell Rapids, South Dakota, on February 10, 1890, educated in country schools and a short business course in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He joined his father, Nels Dybvig, in the nursery business in 1909 near Colton, South Dakota, and expanded to Baltic, South Dakota, in 1935. Two sons—Melvin and Clarence—now operate the Dybvig Nursery at Colton and Baltic.
He married Agnes Sundal of Colton on August 9, 1916. The Dybvigs have eight children. Besides Melvin and Clarence, they include: Mrs. Alvin (Mildred) Anderson, Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Mrs. Dennis (Dorothy) Schear, Mandan, North Dakota; Mrs. Donald (Ruth) Bliss, Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Mrs. Herman (Carol) Lordal, Baltic, South Dakota; Robert of Rock Rapids, Iowa; and Rhoda, a teacher in Columbia, South America. A ninth child, James, died in 1940.
Mr. Dybvig has been prominent in many farm organizations, church and civic groups during his many years as a South Dakota farmer and nurseryman.
He has been a member of the South Dakota State Horticultural Society since 1910—serving as president and state treasurer. He has never missed a state meeting. From 1925¾1950, he was president of the South Dakota Nurserymen’s Association. He was also a member of the Farm Bureau board in Minnehaha County which hired the first county extension agent. He was president of the first cooperative oil company formed in Minnehaha County about 1920.
He is now president of the State Weed Board. He is a member of the Keep South Dakota Green Association, the South Dakota Tree Farm Committee and the South Dakota Parks Association.
His nursery has cooperated with State College to increase new tree releases in the state. He helped promote the Black Hills spruce as the state tree in 1947. Mr. Dybvig served on the local school board for 27 years and on the old Minnehaha County Fair Board Association.
He is a member of Dell Rapids Lutheran Church and is national vice president of the Lutheran Brotherhood. From 1919 to 1934, he was a trustee at the Colton church.