Harold Anderson of Highmore, South Dakota, runs a 4,950 acre ranch with 250 cows and 600 Rambouillet ewes.
The ranch was started in 1920 by his father. After attending ag school in Brookings, Harold came home to the ranch and gradually took it over.
The Andersons started a registered Hereford herd in 1941 and hosted many high selling bull sales over the years. Most of the sales were in the top ten in the nation on price per number of bulls sold.
Because of health reasons, Harold dispersed most of the herd in 1981, except for a few select seedstock. To keep up with changing times, Saler cattle were introduced to the operation in 1981, as well as Rambouillet sheep. The ewe flock has progressed rapidly, receiving top honors at many shows. Most recently, one of the Anderson flock was recognized as Grand Champion Ram at the National Western Stock Show in Denver.
As a 4-H Volunteer Leader for 15 years, he was active in the junior livestock show, and helped launch the 4-H Trust Fund.
He has been active in the state and national livestock industry serving as a director of the Livestock Production Records Association, member of the South Dakota Stockgrower's Association, and also a member of the South Dakota Hereford Association.
Other areas of service include the local school board, and the County Extension Board, of which he has been a member for 28 years.
Anderson has been recognized as an Outstanding 4-H Leader in Hyde County, and received the Outstanding Purebred Beef Breeder Award in 1976.
Harold and his wife Eunice have four sons: Scott of Huron, South Dakota; Burton of Highmore, South Dakota; and Michael and Justin, both of Rapid City, South Dakota.