Although the feeding and raising of livestock and general grain farming were the principle occupations of Edward Bogue, Beresford, South Dakota, he found time to serve his state and his local community in many different capacities. He served for more than 25 years as chairman of the Pleasant View School, was town clerk and town chairman in Beresford and served two terms in the House of Representatives at Pierre.
Mr. Bogue was actively interested in farm organizations. He helped organize the Farm Bureau in Lincoln County and served that organization as president. He boosted the 4-H Club and county agent work in the early days of the agricultural extension service. He was president of the Lincoln County Farm Bureau for a number of years.
Edward Bogue was born in Columbia County, Wisconsin in 1866. He came to South Dakota in the spring of 1895, first settling in Charles Mix County and then moving to Beresford in 1900.
Three years after coming to South Dakota he married Anna Ambur of Platte, South Dakota. They were the parents of five children.
Mr. Bogue developed his 320-acre farm near Beresford into one of the outstanding livestock farms of the state. As a farmer he practiced rotation and diversified agriculture. Although primarily interested in cattle, he also fed at various times large herds of sheep and frequently raised large numbers of swine. It was his practice to feed all of the grain which he raised and to buy some to carry out his extensive feeding operations. He was one of the early growers of alfalfa for hay.
Mr. Bogue virtually retired from farming in 1931 and moved to Canton, South Dakota, where he became the assessor. However, after Mrs. Bogue died in 1948, he returned to the farm to live with his son.
Mr. Bogue was a member of the Lutheran Church in Canton.