Mike Headley is an experienced project manager and systems engineer who has successfully led the design, development and operations of multiple, major technical systems and facilities to support senior U.S. Government decision makers and science communities. His over 20 years of engineering and management experience includes the development and operation of complex space satellite and ground systems; development and operation of large‐scale science data processing, archiving and distribution systems; and design, construction and operation of deep underground science laboratory facilities. Currently, Mike serves as the Laboratory Director for the Sanford Underground Research Facility and the Executive Director of the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority in Lead, SD. He leads the 125‐member Science and Technology Authority team in the development and operation of the newest and deepest underground science laboratory in the United States.
- 2013 – Present - Executive Director, South Dakota Science and Technology Authority, Lead, SD.
- 2011 – Present - Laboratory Director, Sanford Underground Research Facility, South Dakota Science and Technology Authority, Lead, SD.
- 2009 – 2011 - Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory (DUSEL) Project Director, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, SD.
- 2008 – 2009 - Deputy Laboratory Director, South Dakota Science and Technology Authority, Sanford Underground Laboratory at Homestake, Lead, SD.
- 2006 – 2008 - Senior Project Manager, Landsat Data Continuity Mission, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center, Sioux Falls, SD
- 2005 – 2006 - Deputy Program Manager, Assistant Vice President, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), USGS EROS Center, Sioux Falls, SD.
- 1998 – 2005 - Landsat Project Manager and Chief Systems Engineer, SAIC, USGS EROS Center, Sioux Falls, SD.
- 1996 – 1998 - Satellite Systems Development and Operations Branch Chief, United States Air Force, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, VA.
- 1993 – 1996 - Lead Software Development Systems Engineer, United States Air Force, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Los Angeles, CA.
- South Dakota State University -- Computer Science -- B.S. 1992
- Loyola Marymount University -- Business Administration -- M.B.A. 1996
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute.