We have South Dakota's only state of the art cleanroom facilities (DEH 035, five bays), nanocharacterization lab (DEH 053), thin film characterization lab (DEH 056), device characterization lab (DEH 036), organic electronic lab (DEH 058), photovoltaic characterization lab (DEH 011). Dr Quinn Qiao is the point of contact and oversee all the facilities listed here.
Please contact Dr Qiao at email@example.com or 605-651-0080 to access any of the equipment.
Equipment for nanomaterials and nanofilm fabrication:
- Plasma Therm Versaline Low temperature plasma enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition, Model: Versaline PECVD PM #1 (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 3)
- Torr High temperature Chemical Vapor Deposition, Model: SD-PECVD-1E (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 3)
- Various Sputter Deposition Systems (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 4)
- Picosun Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD), Model: ALD R200 (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 4)
- MIDAS Mask Aligner, Model: MDA-400LJ (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 5, photolithography)
- CRC sputter deposition system (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 2)
- MBraun Physical Vapor Deposition system (DEH 058)
- Plasma generator (DEH 052)
- Tube furnace (DEH 052)
- Badger Air-Brush Company RK-1 Krome Airbrush 2-in-1 Ultra Fine Airbrush with Additional Fine Tip, Spray Regulator and Needle (DEH 058)
- Torr International sputter coating system (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 3)
- VWR 1415 M vacuum oven (DEH 056)
- Laurel spin coater (DEH 035, 056, 058)
- Harrick PDC-32G Plasma cleaner (DEH 058)
- DI water purification system (DEH 058)
- UV-Ozone cleaner (DEH 058)
Modeling and Simulation
- High Performance Computing & Cluster Computing
- Solar cells simulation
- Battery simulation
- Materials simulation
Equipment for film/cell electrical measurement, fabrication and testing:
- Transient photovoltage and photocurrent system (DEH 011)
- Electrical test probe station (DEH 011)
- Four point probe system (DEH 053)
- Kelvin Probe for workfunction measurement (DEH 053)
- Lasers: red, green, violet, blue (DEH 053)
- Photo induced current by linearly increasing voltage (DEH 011)
- Glove box with AFM and IMPS (DEH 035, clean room Bay 1)
- 10 set of LAND Battery testers (DEH 036)
- Contact angle measurement system (DEH 035, clean room)
- Humidity and temperature control chamber, temperature range (-40 oC to +130 oC ), with temperature-heat- up rate from -40 oC to 130 oC within 70 min; humidity range (30 ~ 95 % RH). (DEH 053)
- MBraun glovebox syetem including a wet unit and a dry unit integrated with spin coater, metal vapor deposition system and O2/H2O analyzer (DEH 058)
- MB-EVAP S/A vacuum deposition system (DEH 058)
- AM 1.5 solar simulator and monochromator for IPCE measurement (DEH 011)
Equipment for materials synthesis and characterization:
- Fume hoods
- Schlenk lines
- Drying ovens
- Rotary evaporators
- High vacuum lines
- Water Gel permeation chromatography (GPC)
Equipment for film/surface/cell characterization:
- Veeco Dektak 150 Surface Profiler (DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 2)
- HITACHI S-3400N Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM, DEH 035, cleanroom Bay 2)
- Agilent SPM 5500 Scanning Probe Microscope - 4 um scanning range (DEH 053)
- Agilent SPM 5500 Scanning Probe Microscope - 10 um scanning range (DEH 053)
- Bruker Dimension icon Atomic Force Microscope (DEH 036)
- Agilent UV-Vis-NIR spectrophotometer (DEH 053)
- Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy - FTIR (DEH 036)
- Rigaku smartlab X-ray diffraction - XRD (DEH 056)
- Horiba labRAM Raman Spectroscopy (DEH 053)
- Ultrafast (Femtosecond) Fluorescence Spectroscopy (DEH 011)
- Edinburgh FLS 920 fluorescence spectrophotometer (DEH 056)
- Ametek potentiostats (DEH 058 and DEH 035)
South Dakota's only State of the Art Cleanroom Facilities (DEH 035)
- The clean room includes over 3,300 ft2 of class 100-1000 space and the facilities and equipment used for micro-, nano-electronics, biomedical, and MEMS materials and devices fabrication. It includes five bays, four fume hoods, and over $3 million of equipment.
- Bay 1 is for organic electronics and includes two glove box systems with inert nitrogen gas environment, organic electronics device fabrication equipment, atomic force microscope for materials characterization, lithium ion battery fabrication, diamond and wire saws for wafer dicing, tube furnace, vacuum ovens, and a thick film printer.
- Bay 2 is a materials characterization bay which includes a Hitachi Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) with an Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX) system, Dektak thin film profilometer, and a sputter coater for SEM sample preparation.
- Bay 3 is for thin film deposition, and includes a Rapid Thermal Processing oven (RTP), ion beam, e-beam, sputtering and evaporation thin film deposition systems, a high-temp chemical vapor deposition (CVD) system for silicon and graphene films, and a large-area plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition (CVD) system.
- Bay 4 contains systems under development including plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition (CVD), atomic-layer deposition system (ALD), thin-film sputter deposition system with load-lock for rapid sample changing and deep reactive-ion etching (DRIE).
- Bay 5 is a lithography bay that includes yellow and red darkroom lighting for circuit pattern transfer, de-ionized water system for substrate cleaning, substrate spin dryer, photo-reduction stand for integrated circuit masks, contact angle measurement system, wire bonder, spin coater for photoresist deposition, and mask aligner for circuit pattern transfer.