Center for Power Systems Studies - Spring Meeting
Basin Electric Power Cooperative – Elkton, SD
Deer Creek Station
April 19, 2018
Call to Order
Steve Hietpas called the meeting to order at 12:15 p.m.
Mark Buchholz – Western Area Power Administration
- Steven Hietpas - CPSS Coordinator – SDSU
- Chad Orris – MidAmerican Energy Company
- Steve Mundahl – Basin Electric Power Cooperative
- Mark Buchholz – Western Area Power Administration
- Steven Arbach – NorthWestern Energy
- Jim Edwards – East River Electric Power Cooperative
- Frank Kornbaum – Minnesota Power
- Nate Jones – Heartland Consumers Power District
- Austin Hoekman – Missouri River Energy Services
- Joe Dold – Otter Tail Power Company
- Randy Diede – Western Area Power Administration
- Jean Waltz – Xcel Energy, Inc. South Dakota
- Chris Graff – Power Systems Engineering
- Blair Metzger – DGR Engineering
- Ted Smith – Sioux Valley Energy
Members and Associate Members Not Represented
- Black Hills Energy
- Burn & McDonnell
- Electrical Consultants/EPC Services
- Nebraska Public Power District (NPPD)
- Rushmore Electric Power Cooperative
- Interstates Engineering
- Northern Plains Power Technologies
- Marshall Municipal Utilities
- T&R Services
- Ulteig Engineers
- Watertown Municipal Utilities
- Brookings Municipal Utilities
- West Plains Engineering
Host: Basin Electric Power Cooperative
- Gavin McCollum
- Greg Opdahl
- Gerry Henricksen
- Chris Karch
- Jim Gerlach
- Lew Brown – SDSU Dean of Engineering
- Zhen Ni – SDSU
- Reinaldo Tonkoski - SDSU
- Chris Bultsma – Western Area Power Administration
Jim Edwards moved and Frank Kornbaum seconded to accept the agenda as submitted. Motion carried.
Approve Minutes of October 2, 2017 Fall Meeting
Steve Arbach moved and Joe Dold seconded to accept the minutes. Motion carried.
SDSU College of Engineering Update
Prior to the Deer Creek Station Tour, Dean Lew Brown provided a College of Engineering Update to the membership.
- Dawn Ballegooyen is the new secretary/receptionist for the Dean of Engineering Office
- Dr. Steve Hietpas will be stepping down as the Head of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department effective June 22, 2018. George Hamer will serve as Acting Head. It is anticipated a new department head will named by the end of the year or in early 2019.
- Dean Brown will be retiring effective June 22, 2018. Final candidate interviews were conducted at SDSU the week of April 16. It is anticipated that an announcement of the next dean will occur before the end of April.
- SDSU Human Power Vehicle Team took first place at the ASME Human Powered Vehicle Challenge West in Pomona, CA on March 23-25.
- Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering Awards Banquet on April 24, 2018.
Report for the spring meeting was included in packet. Some of the highlights of the report were:
Power Course Update
- Course updates were provided for the Spring 2018 through Spring 2019
Power Faculty Update
- The activities of faculty Tonkoski, Hansen and Ni were reviewed.
- Activities of PhD Students, Graduate Students and Undergraduate Students were reviewed.
- EE Program is expected to award approximately $40,000 in scholarships. 60% are a direct result of power community sponsorship.
Status of Power Students
- Spring 2018 CPSS Student Survey was reviewed and discussed.
Summer Power and/or CPSS Activity
- Activities to include preparations for the 2018 Fall CPSS Meeting, 2018 SoDaRP Conference and 50th Anniversary Celebration for CPSS
- SPEEDAM 2018 – Tonkoski
- IEEE PES 2018 – Tonkoski, Hansen, Ni
- IEEE ECCE - Tonkoski
- IEEE WCCI 2018 - Ni
- Writing proposals to obtain funding from external and national agencies.
The member and contact list was circulated. Changes in contact information were requested to be submitted to Dr. Hietpas.
Who’s Who in Power from SDSU
- Username: cpss
- Password: (check with Hietpas)
Steve Hietpas to send email and spreadsheet to CPSS members for review and update. Will be used to send Save the Date Reminders for the 50th Anniversary CPSS celebration.
2018-19 Proposed Budget Report (Joe Dold – Otter Tail Power)
- Income FY 18 Budgeted: $40,150. Income FY 18 Actual to Date: $34,055
- Xcel dues to be paid in June
- Mid-American dues payment in progress.
- Sioux Valley Electric dues received after report submittal
- Expenses FY 18 Budgeted: $49,150. Expenses FY 18 Actual to Date: 48,982.50
- Account Balance Start of FY 18: $15,622
- Current Available CPSS Funds: $3974.50
- Estimated Account Balance Start of FY 19: $8524.50
Joe Dold moved and Jim Edwards seconded to accept the FY 18 Budget Report as submitted. Motion carried.
2018-2019 Wayne Knabach Excellence in Power Award Selection
Blair Metzger, Frank Kornbaum, Jean Waltz and Jim Wilcox provided the group with a list of nominees for the 2018 WEK Excellence in Power Award. The nominees include:
- John Kappenman of Storm Analysis Consultants
- Bob Schulte of Schulte Associates
- Jerry Tielke of Missouri River Energy Services
The committee unanimously agreed to nominate John Kappenman for the 2018 Award.
Motion made by Frank Kornbaum, seconded by Austin Hoekman, to accept the WEK Nomination. Motion carried.
Steve Hietpas will inform Mr. Kappenman.
2018-2019 Student Project Proposals
Nate Jones and Chris Graff provided a student project proposal submitted by SDSU and MRES for the 2018-2019 Academic Year – Red Rock Hydroelectric Plant Volt/Var Controls
Project Summary was reviewed and discussed by the CPSS members.
Motion made by Chris Graff, seconded by Chad Orris, to accept the MRES Student Project Proposal. Motion carried.
2018 South Dakota Regional Power Conference Status Update
- Minutes of February 13, 2018 Committee Conference Call were discussed
- Conference Date Set for October 1, 2018
- Cost $125 ($100 for Conference, $25 for Banquet
- Attendance Goal 70 (Industry)
- Format: 3 presenters morning, 3 presenters afternoon. Keynote speaker(s) for Banquet
- CPSS Discussion of topics for conference.
- Cybersecurity – 1 speaker confirmed
- Blockchain Mgmt., Cryptocurrency Data Mining and Utility Impacts
- Advanced Distribution Management (ADM)
- CAPX2020 Lessons Learned
50th CPSS Anniversary Status Update
- Committee members – Edwards, Metzger and Hietpas
- Minutes of March 9, 2018 Committee Meeting were discussed
- Campus Tours to be provided following SoDaRP Conference
- Venue – SDSU Alumni Center
- Social – 5:30 p.m.,
- Commemorative Book
- Company Posters
- Request for Photos from CPSS members for Poster and Book. (Hietpas & Edwards)
- Dinner – 6:00 p.m.
- Special Welcome – SDSU Dean of Engineering
- Master of Ceremonies – Jeff Nelson – East River (ret.)
- Governor’s Proclamation (Hietpas)
- WEK Award (Metzger)
- Keynote Presentation
- Power System Industry Changes/Challenges in the last 50 Years.
- CPSS 50th Anniversary Logos
- Banners, Table Center Pieces, Ice Sculpture, University Relations, Catering (Pistulka)
- Invitations (Hietpas)
Fall Meeting Date
Scheduled for October 2, 2018
Expression of Appreciation
Motion made by Steve Hietpas, seconded by Mark Buchholz, and carried, to express appreciation to Steven Mundahl and Basin Electric Power Cooperative personnel for hosting the spring meeting and providing a tour of Deer Creek Station.
Motion made by Frank Kornbaum, seconded by Austin Hoekman, and carried, to express appreciation to Lew Brown – SDSU Dean of Engineering for his support of the Center for Power System Studies and to wish him well in his upcoming retirement.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 2:30 p.m.
Mark E. Buchholz – Western Area Power Administration
April 19, 2018
Typed and Submitted April 23, 2018