Below are brief descriptions of scientific equipment available at the SDSU University Center. If you have interest in any testing not listed, please contact Director Stephen Gent, and we will investigate additional capabilities on campus.
M. Braun Glovebox Systems
M. Braun glovebox systems, are operated using closed loop circulation method, providing user with a non-reactive atmosphere of <1ppm moisture and oxygen content. The system use inert gas enabling the user to handle substances which are sensitive to oxygen and/or moisture. The system has three major functions: Purging, Circulation and Regeneration. SDSU UC facility possesses M. Braun glovebox with separate Nitrogen and Argon filled environment for thin films and battery fabrication respectively. The Nitrogen filled glovebox is coupled with thin film evaporation system.
M. Braun Glovebox Systems
M. Braun glovebox systems are operated using closed loop circulation method, providing user with a non-reactive atmosphere of <1ppm moisture and oxygen content. The system use inert gas enabling the user to handle substances which are sensitive to oxygen and/or moisture. The system has three major functions: Purging, Circulation and Regeneration. SDSU UC facility possesses M. Braun glovebox with separate Nitrogen and Argon filled environment for thin films and battery fabrication respectively. The Nitrogen filled glovebox is coupled with thin film evaporation system.
Hitachi S-4700 FE-SEM
• Accelerating voltage range: from 0.5 keV to 30 keV
• 2.5 nm resolution at 1kV; 1.5 nm resolution at 15 kV
• Magnification range: from 30X to 500.000X
• PC-controlled five axis motorized stage
• Specimen stage rotation 360˚ in continuous mode
• Specimen tilt at 12mm working distance (WD) up to 45˚
• Sample size up to 100 mm diameter x 17 mm high
• Two secondary electron (SE) detectors: one above the objective lens, the other below
• Digital image acquisition at 640 X 480, 1280 X 960, or 1560 X 1920 pixels
• Fully digital imaging, image processing and archiving system
• Attached with EDS system for chemical composition and elemental mapping.
Hitachi S-3400N SEM
The Hitachi 3400N is SEM consisting of Tungsten Filament allowing accelerating voltage up to 30kV. It is equipped with both Secondary electron and Backscatter electron detectors with fully eucentric 5 axis motorized stage allowing sample up to 25cm diameter. This system has magnification range from 5X to 300,000X. This system is also equipped with EDS system for chemical composition and elemental mapping.
TORR IBAD System
The TORR IBAD System is designed for thin film deposition using magnetron sputtering deposition, thermal evaporation, ion beam assisted deposition, electron gun evaporation and ion beam etching. The system is equipped with both DC and RF supply for sputtering any type target. Mass flow controllers allow use of any three different gases (H2, N2 and Ar). The base pressure in chamber can be maintained up to 10-7 Torr. The ion-beam gun can be used for ion beam etching or ion beam assisted deposition. It uses four different types of ions (H2, O2, N2, or Ar) with energies up to 300 eV. The system consists of heater which allows samples to be heated up to 270° C.
Trion Minilock II Reactive Ion Etcher
The Trion Minilock II is a reactive ion etching (RIE) system intended for chlorine based etching. The system accepts 4” wafers or smaller samples placed on whole 4” wafers. The system has dual radio frequency (RF) plasma sources using inductively coupled plasma (ICP) to enable higher plasma density. Samples are loaded through the load lock on the left side of system and processed in the reaction chamber on the right. The system utilizes argon plasma processing.
Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition
The Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PECVD) consists of two vacuum chambers using separate vacuum systems, 9 mass flow controllers, a shared power supply and separate temperature controllers. The Prep chamber is pumped with rough pump and turbomolecular pump in series. Pressure is controlled in Prep chamber using built in PID controller that adjusts the “flow master” to change the gas flow rates and obtain desired pressure without changing the gas ratios. The CVD chamber is pumped using rough pump and turbomolecular pump with a bypass through and exhaust valve system with is used to obtain the desired pressure.
Exposure and Mask Alignment System MDA-400
• LED UV light source and Intensity controllable DC power supply.
-Size : diameter 125 mm
-Power: >= 10mW/cm-2
-Beam Univormity: <= ±3%
• Substrate Size: 4in, Piece~4in (Option-Chuck and Mask Holder replacement type)
• Exposure Mode: Soft, Hard, Vacuum Contact and Proximity (Gap)Exposure System
• Exposure time: 0.1 – 999s (0.1/0.01 step)
• Utilities Requirement
- Electric Power: 220V, 10A, Single Phase with Ground, 60 Hz
- Vacuum: Over -500mmHg
Horiba Raman Spectrometer
Raman spectrometer is used for identification substances in solid, liquid or gaseous states, phase diagnostic of inclusions in minerals, degree of crystallinty, changes in biological tissues.
• Spectrograph: focal length is 800 mm; 3 diffraction gratings at 600 l/mm, 1800 l/mm
• Spectral range: 4000-100 сm-1
• Lasers: tunable Ar+ laser with power up to 50mW and with notch filters at 488nm and 514 nm; He-Ne at 632nm and power up to 10 mW
• Microscope: Olympus BX41with objectives 10Х (NA 0.25), 50X (NA 0.75), 50X (NA 0.5), 100X (NA 0.9)
• Detector : Peltier-cooled CCD 1024Х256 px
Neware Battery Testing System 4000
BTS 4000 is one of the most successful battery testing system with following specifications:
• AC input : AC 110V±10% 50Hz(AC220±10% 50HZ)
• Power: 25W
• Resolution: AD 16bit, DA 16bit
• Input Impedance: ≥10GΩ
• Voltage: Charge 25mV ~5V, Discharge: 25mV~5V
• Current: Range1, 10µA~2mA
• Range2, 2mA~20mA
• Power output per channel: 0.1W
• Time: Rise Time 1ms (0~Full Range)
Step Time ≤(365*24) hour/step
• Frequency: 10Hz