Hometown: Carthage, SD
Charles L. Coughlin began his professional career as an instructor in mechanical engineering at Purdue University. He joined Briggs & Stratton Co. in 1910 spending four years as Vice President and General Manager. Mr. Coughlin became President of Briggs & Stratton in 1935 and then Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer in 1970. He was on the Board of Governors of Marquette University and on the Board of Directors of the Wisconsin Electric Power Co. The Coughlin Campanile, his gift to South Dakota State College, was dedicated on the 20th anniversary of his graduation in 1929. In addition, he was a major contributor to the Coughlin-Alumni Stadium on the SDSU campus. He was awarded an honorary doctorate by SDSC in 1954.