TitleProfessor and Graduate Coordinator
Office BuildingCrothers Engineering Hall
Mailing AddressCrothers Engineering Hall 222
Mechanical Engineering-Box 2219
Brookings, SD 57007
EducationPh.D. Mechanical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
B.Sc. with honor Mechanical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
Academic Interests/ExpertiseMulti-scale material modeling and characterization;
Design of composites and nano-composites;
Characterization of Materials/composites/nanostructured thin films and coatings;
Mechanical strength evaluation and failure prediction.
Metal forming processing design/testing/modeling/optimization.
Academic ResponsibilitiesME 214 Engineering Materials;
EM 215 Dynamics;
ME 321 Fundamentals of Machine Design;
ME 440/540 Computer-Aided Design/Numerical Method and Programming
ME 451 Auto Controls;
ME 417/517/L CAE/FEA;
ME 741 Advanced Stress Analysis;
ME 745 Advanced Machine Design;
ME 792 SpTp-Properties and Applications of Composite Materials
Committee ActivitiesSDSU Graduate Council Committee (2009-2012, 2018-)
SDSU Graduate Advisor Committee (2002-)
SDSU Faculty Senator (2016-2019)
SDSU Tenure and Promotion Committee (2018-)
SDSU Faculty and Extension Professional Development Committee (2018-)
- Solid Mechanics
- Experimental & Computational Modeling
- Materials Characterization
- Metal Forming Process
Professional MembershipsMember of ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), IACSIT (International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology), NDIA, SME, MRS, ASEE.
Area(s) of Research1. Hu, Z. et al. Understanding the effects of material properties on nanoindentation responses through data analysis, Micro and Nanosystems, 12(2020). DOI : 10.2174/1876402912999200507130155.
2. Hu, Z. et al., Characterization of ferrite magnetic nanoparticle modified polymeric composites by modeling, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 493(2020)165735(9 pages). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2019.165735.
3. Hu, Z. and Hassan, M.M., Effect of Poisson’s ratio on material property characterization by nanoindentation with a cylindrical flat-tip indenter, Journal of Materials Research, 34(14)(2019)2482-2491. DOI: 10.1557/jmr.2019.160.
4. Hu, Z. and Parker, A. P., Swage autofrettage analysis - current status and future prospects, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 171(2019)233-241.
5. Hu, Z., Design of two-pass swage autofrettage processes of thick-walled cylinders by computer modeling, Proc IMechE Part C: J Mechanical Engineering Science, 233(4)(2019)1312-1333.
6. Hu, Z., Gadipudi, V. K., and Salem, D. R., Topology optimization of lightweight lattice structural composites inspired by cuttlefish bone, Journal of Applied Composites, 26(2019)15-27.
7. Rahman, K.M., Hu, Z., and Letcher, T., In-plane stiffness of additively manufactured hierarchical honeycomb metamaterials with defects, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 140(1)(2018)011007-1-11.
8. Hu, Z., Chapter 6: Characterization of Materials, Nanomaterials, and Thin Films by Nanoindentation, in “Microscopy Methods in Nanomaterials Characterization" (Volume 1, pp.165-240) by S. Thomas,R. Thomas, A. K. Zachariah, and R. K. Mishra (Editors), Elsevier, 2017, ISBN:978-0-323-46141-2.
9. Hu, Z., Thiyagarajan, K., Bhusal, A., Letcher, T., Fan, Q.H., Liu, Q., Salem, D., Design of ultra-lightweight and high-strength cellular structural composites inspired by biomimetics, Composites Part B: Engineering, 121(2017)108-121.
10. Liu, Q., Xu, X., Ma, J., Hu, Z., Hui, D., Energy absorption of bio-inspired multi-cell CFRP and aluminum square, Composites Part B: Engineering, 121(2017)134-144.
11. Shahjahan, N.B. and Hu, Z., Effects of angular misalignment on material property characterization by nanoindentation with a cylindrical flat-tip indenter, Journal of Materials Research, 32(8)(2017)1456-1465.
12. Hu, Z., Shrestha, M., Fan, Q., Nanomechanical characterization of porous anodic aluminum oxide films by nanoindentation, Thin Solid Films, 598(2016)131-140.
13. Hu, Z., Lynne, K., Delfanian, F., Characterization of materials’ elasticity and yield strength through micro-/nano-indentation testing with a cylindrical flat-tip indenter, Journal of Materials Research, 30(4)(2015)578-591.
14. Li, Y., Hu, Z., Yan, X., One-pot and one-step synthesis of copper and copper/copper oxide hybrid nano-fluids, Journal of Nanofluids, 4(1)(2015)1-6.
15. Jiang, Y., Opoku, M., Hu, Z., Hong, H., Puszynski, J. A., Yan, X., Synthesis and characterization of spinel ferrite based nanofluids, Journal of Nanofluids, 4(2)(2015) 1-7.
16. Hu, Z., Farahikia, M., Delfanian, F., Fiber bias effect on characterization of carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites by nanoindentation testing and modeling, Journal of Composite Materials, 49(27)(2015)3359-3372.
17. Hu, Z., Karki, R., Prediction of mechanical properties of three-dimensional fabric composites reinforced by transversely isotropic carbon fibers, Journal of Composite Materials, 49(12)(2015)1513-1524.
18. Hu, Z. and Lu, X., Book Chapter 8: Mechanical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene. In: K. Tanaka and S. Iijima, editors: Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene, 2nd Edition. Oxford: Elsevier; 2014, p. 165-200. ISBN:978-0-08-098232-8.
19. Hu, Z., Arefin, M. R. H., Yan, X., and Fan, Q. H., Mechanical property characterization of carbon nanotube modified polymeric nanocomposites by computer modeling, Composites B: Engineering, 56(2014)100-108.
20. Hu, Z. and Penumarthy, C., Computer modeling and optimization of swage autofrettage process of a thick-walled cylinder implicating Bauschinger effect, American Transaction on Engineering & Applied Sciences, 3(1)(2014)31-63.
21. Hu, Z., Lynne, K., Markondapatnaikuni, S., Delfanian, F., Material elastic-plastic property characterization by micro-indentation testing coupled with computer modeling, Materials Science and Engineering A, 587(2013)268-282.
22. Hu, Z., Hossan M.R., Strength evaluation and failure prediction of short carbon fiber reinforced nylon spur gears by finite element modeling, Applied Composite Materials, 20(3)(2013)315-330.
23. Yan, X-Z., Jiang, Y-F., Jiang, M-L., Hu, Z., and Hong, H-P., ZnO nanorod based nanofluids, Journal of Nanofluids, 2(1)(2013)1-6.
24. Hu, Z., Yan, X-Z., Wu, J., and Manzo, M. Characterization of mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties of carbon fiber polymer composites by modeling, American Transaction on Engineering & Applied Sciences, 2(2)(2013) 133 -148.
25. Lu, X. and Hu, Z., Mechanical property evaluation of single-walled carbon nanotubes by finite element modeling, Composites B: engineering, 43(3)(2012)1902-1913.
26. Hu, Z., Khadka, V. S., Wang, W., Galipeau, D., Yan, X-Z., Theoretical study of two-photon absorption properties and up-conversion efficiency of new symmetric organic π-conjugated molecules for photovoltaic devices, Journal of Molecular Modeling, 18(8)(2012)3657-3667.
27. Hu, Z., Puttagunta S., Computer modeling of internal pressure autofrettage process of a thick-walled cylinder with the Bauschinger effect, American Transactions on Engineering & Applied Science, 1(2) (2012) 143-161.
28. Hu, Z., Wang, W., Khadka, V. S., Galipeau, D., Yan, X-Z., Quantum mechanical modeling and calculation of two-photon absorption properties of new class “Delta” shaped conjugated molecules, Molecular Simulation, 37(6)(2011)431-439.
29. Remund, T., Layh, T., Koepsell, L., Deng, D., Hu, Z., A novel finite element model for annulus fibrosus tissue engineering using homogenization techniques, American Transactions on Engineering & Applied Sciences, 1(1)(2011)1-22.
Multi-scale modeling of materials and composite materials by quantum mechanics (QM)/molecular dynamics (MD)/finite element analysis (FEA);
Experimental and numerical characterization of materials, composite materials, nanostructured materials, and thin-films and coatings;
Topology design and optimization of porous structured materials and bio-inspired materials/biomaterials;
Mechanical strength evaluation and failure prediction by computer modeling and nondestructive engineering;
Metal forming processing design/testing/modeling/optimization.
Applications of ResearchDesign of Swage Autofrettage Process of Thick-Walled Cylinder
Design of Lightweight High-Strength Porous Structure