TitleDirector-School of Design/Professor
Office BuildingChicoine Architecture, Mathematics and Engineering Hall
Mailing AddressChicoine Architecture, Math & Engineering Building 372
School of Design-Box 2225
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographyDr. Crawford received her PhD in Environmental Design and Planning from Arizona State University, Masters of Landscape Architecture from Kansas State University, and Bachelor of Science in Horticulture from the University of Missouri – Columbia. She is a licensed Landscape Architect and has nine years practice experience with the Missouri Division of State Parks. Expertise includes community engagement and visioning, landscape site design and master planning, park design and accessible (ADA) facilities, inter-professional pedagogies and employability skills, education abroad, and field sketching. Dr. Crawford has presented her work in community visioning and creating world class built environments in England, Scotland, Ireland, Estonia, Germany, Italy, France, Greece, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, China and Korea.
Selected recent works include:
* Crawford, P. & Berquist, B., Eds. 2020. Community Engagement Abroad: Perspectives and Practices on Service, Engagement, and Learning Overseas. Transformation in Higher Education Series, H. Fitzgerald, Series Editor. Michigan State University Press: East Lansing, MI.
* EB Knight Journal Award. Research Article of the Year. 2021. Employability Skills and Students Critical Growth Areas. NACTA - National Association of College Teachers in Agriculture. Crawford & Fink.
* Rakestraw, Crawford & Lee. 2021. Perceptions of On-Premise Commercial Sign Regulation Codes for Beauty, Interest, and Order by Designers and Non-Designers. Interdisciplinary Journal of Signage and Wayfinding. 5(1): 6-25.
* Crawford, P., Lillie, J. & Witter, S. 2019. Creating a World Class Built Environment through Networked Visioning to Advance Urban and Regional Resilience. Proceedings of the International Conference on Changing Cities IV: Spatial, Design, Landscape and Soci0economic Dimensions. (Peer-Review Full Paper). A. Gospodini, Ed. Greek Ministry of Environment & Energy & University of Thessaly. ISBN: 978=960-99226-9-2.
* Crawford, P., Burger, D., Frewaldt, S. & TenBrink, M. 2019. ReImagining the DL&W Greenway Corridor Buffalo, NY. An International Design Ideas Competition by the Western NY Land Conservancy & The Rails to Trails Conservancy. Juried Exhibition. 20 selected of 100 submissions.
Image for School of Design
School of Design
Image for College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences