Office BuildingAnimal Science Complex
Mailing AddressAnimal Science Complex 220
Animal Science-Box 2170
Brookings, SD 57007
EducationPh.D., Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006
M.S., Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2003
B.S., Animal Science, North Carolina State University, 1999
Academic Interests/ExpertiseAnimal Genetics
Academic ResponsibilitiesAS 332 Livestock Breeding & Genetics, 4 credits, Fall & Spring
AS 720 Advanced Selection of Domestic Animals, 3 credits, Summer
ABS 482-582 International Experience- South Africa, 3 credits, Spring (Odd Years)
Animal Breeding & Genetics Graduate Training and Research
Committee ActivitiesSDSU Faculty Senate Executive Committee
SDSU Faculty Senate
SDSU Parking & Traffic Committee
Awards and HonorsTeacher of the Year, College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, SDSU, 2018
Walt McCarty Award for Excellence in Academic Advising, College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, 2016
Gamma Sigma Delta Teaching Award, SDSU, 2016
Timothy Nichols Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award, SDSU, 2016
Richard Wahlstrom Animal Science Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Department of Animal Science, SDSU, 2015
GrantsSouth Dakota Beef Industry Council, "Variation component estimation of ultrasound carcass measurements", 2017-2019
USDA-AFRI, "Mentoring undergraduate students in precision livestock production for the 21st century", 2017-2020
Area(s) of Research1. Gonda, M.G., J.A. Arias, G.E. Shook, and B.W. Kirkpatrick. 2004. Identification of an ovulation rate QTL in cattle on BTA 14 using selective DNA pooling and interval mapping. Anim Genet 35:298-304.
2. Gonda, M.G., Y.M. Chang, G.E. Shook, M.T. Collins, and B.W. Kirkpatrick. 2006. Genetic variation of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection in US Holsteins. J Dairy Sci 89(5):1804-12.
3. Gonda, M.G., Y.M. Chang, G.E. Shook, M.T. Collins, and B.W. Kirkpatrick. 2007. Effect of Mycobacterium paratuberculosis infection on production, reproduction, and health traits in US Holsteins. Prev Vet Med 80:103-19.
4. Gonda, M.G., B.W. Kirkpatrick, G.E. Shook, and M.T. Collins. 2007. Identification of a QTL on BTA20 affecting susceptibility to Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis in U.S. Holsteins. Anim Genet 38:389-96.
5. Ashwell, M.S., A.T. O’Nan, M.G. Gonda, and P.L. Mente. 2008. Gene expression profiling of chondrocytes from a porcine impact injury model. Osteoarthr Cartil 16(8):936-46.
6. Wu, J., X-Y. Lou, and M.G. Gonda. 2011. Stochastic deletion-insertion algorithm to construct dense linkage maps. Stat Interface 4:381-8.
7. Fields, S.D., K.L. Gebhart, B.L. Perry, M.G. Gonda, C.L. Wright, R.C. Bott, and G.A. Perry. 2012. Effects of initiation of standing estrus prior to an injection of GnRH on LH release, subsequent concentrations of progesterone, and steriodogenic enzyme expression. Domest Anim Endocrinol 42(1):11-9.
8. Gonda, M.G., X. Fang, G.A. Perry, and C. Maltecca. 2012. Measuring Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus vaccine response: Using a commercially available ELISA as a surrogate for serum neutralization assays. Vaccine 30(46):6559-63.
9. Ashwell, M.S., M.G. Gonda, K. Gray, C. Maltecca, A.T. O’Nan, J.P. Cassady, and P.L. Mente. 2013. Changes in chondrocyte gene expression following in vitro impaction of porcine articular cartilage in an impact injury model. J Orthop Res 31(3):385-91.
10. Sasmal, I., J.A. Jenks, L. Waits, M.G. Gonda, and G.M. Schroeder. 2013. Genetic diversity in reintroduced swift fox population. Conserv Genet 14(1): 93-102.
11. Gonda, M.G. 2015. Animal immunogenetics: understanding immunoglobulins and the Major Histocompatibility Complex. In: Molecular and Quantitative Animal Genetics, ed. Khatib, H., John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
12. Gonda, M.G. 2015. Livestock and companion animal genetics: genetics of infectious disease susceptibility. In: Molecular and Quantitative Animal Genetics, ed. Khatib, H., John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
13. Mohrhauser, D.A., A.R. Taylor, M.G. Gonda, K.R. Underwood, R.H. Pritchard, A.E. Wertz-Lutz, and A.D. Weaver. 2015. The influence of maternal energy status during mid-gestation on beef offspring tenderness, muscle characteristics, and gene expression. Meat Sci. 110: 201-11.
14. Xu, Y., Y. Wu, M.G. Gonda, and J. Wu. 2015. A linkage based imputation method for missing SNP markers in association mapping. J Appl Bioinform Comput Biol 4(1): 1000115.
15. Gonda, M.G. 2015. Understanding EPDs and how to use them. In: iGrow Beef: Best Management Practices for Cow-Calf Production, eds. Nold, R. and Perry, G.A., South Dakota Board of Regents.
16. Gonda, M.G. and W. Rusche. 2015. Breeding systems for commercial beef production. In: iGrow Beef: Best Management Practices for Cow-Calf Production, eds. Nold, R. and Perry, G.A., South Dakota Board of Regents.
17. Gonda, M.G. 2015. DNA testing in beef production. In: iGrow Beef: Best Management Practices for Cow-Calf Production, eds. Nold, R. and Perry, G.A., South Dakota Board of Regents.
18. Jennings, T.D., M.G. Gonda, K.R. Underwood, A.E. Wertz-Lutz, and A.D. Blair. 2016. The influence of maternal nutrition on expression of genes responsible for adipogenesis and myogenesis in the bovine fetus. Animal. 10(10): 1697-1705.
19. Opdahl, L., M.G. Gonda, and B. St-Pierre. 2018. Identification of uncultured bacterial species from Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes and candidatus Saccharibacteria as candidate cellulose utilizers from the rumen of beef cows. Microorganisms. 6(1): 17.
20. Marley, K., L.A. Kuehn, J. Keele, B. Wileman, and M.G. Gonda. 2018. Genetic variation in humoral response to an Escherichia coli O157:H7 vaccine in beef cattle. PLoS ONE. 13(5): e0197347. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0197347.
21. Mastellar, S.L., C.L. Wright, and M.G. Gonda. 2018. Gender differences in career and species interests of animal and veterinary science first year seminar students. NACTA. Accepted.
22. Block, J.J., A.D. Blair, R.N. Funston, K.R. Underwood, M.G. Gonda, A.A. Harty, R.R. Salverson, and K.C. Olson. 2019. Influence of maternal protein restriction in primiparous heifers during mid- and/or late gestation on dam and suckling calf performance through weaning. Journal of Animal Science. Submitted.
23. Blair, A.D., C.L. Wright, G.A. Perry, J. Fulton, K.R. Underwood, M.G. Gonda, and R. Daly. 2019. The effect of copper and zinc source on liver copper and zinc concentrations and performance of beef cows and suckling calves. Livestock Science. Submitted.