TitleAssociate Professor & Alfred Chair in Dairy Manufacturing
Office BuildingAlfred Dairy Science Hall
Mailing AddressAlfred Dairy Science Hall 136
Dairy & Food Science-Box 2104
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographyFood Process Engineer with experience in developing novel and sustainable processes and ingredients.
EducationPh.D., Food Science and Technology, 2014: University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
M.Sc., Dairy Science, 2010: South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
B.Tech., Dairy Science and Technology, 2007: Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur, India
Academic Interests/ExpertiseAs a researcher in the area of dairy science, I have endeavoured to bring together the chemistry, processing, technologies and engineering aspects together.
My areas of expertise are:
1. Product structure and rheology
2. Novel food processing technologies – High pressure processing, Nanobubble technology, Supercritical fluid processing.
3. Functional products and ingredients
4. Dairy processing and value addition
5. Delivery systems and release kinetics
I am currently focussed on optimizing processing technologies for functional benefits and value addition of dairy products and ingredients. I collaborate with research institutions and industry to understand the areas requiring research and provide solutions for dairy processing and product development. My goal is to enable commercialization of optimized novel technologies and sustainable processes, that can enhance the value of dairy products, ingredients and waste streams.
Committee ActivitiesLeadership - Professional Organizations
1. Organizer, International Association for Cereal Science and Technology Cereal and Bread Congress 2021, Vienna, Austria
2. Lincoln University Representative at the Canterbury Chapter of New Zealand Institute of Chemistry (NZIC) (2020-2021)
3. Lincoln University, Elected Health and Safety representative for AGLS (2020-2021)
Food Technology expert for the Review of Achievement Standards, National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) (2019-2021)
4. Secretary, Pennsylvania State University Postdoctoral Society (2014-2015)
5. ADSA Graduate Student Division (GSD) Advisory Council - Dairy Foods Director (2014 - 2015)
6. Super user and reviewer executive committee IFT Dairy Food Division (2013-2014)
Graduate Student Division, Dairy Foods Director of the ADSA (2013-2014)
Service - Academic Institutions
1. Lead in establishing Memorandum of Agreement (MOU) of Lincoln University with: (1) 2020 - Amity University, India for a 3+1 Bachelor of Science Program, where students will conduct their last year of study at Lincoln University; (2) Memorandum of Agreement (MOU) of Lincoln University with Amity University, India for a 3+1 Bachelor of Science Program, where students will conduct their last year of study at Lincoln University (2020)
2. Reviewer for Committee on University Academic Programmes (CUAP) Round One 2019 proposal by Massey University, May 2019
3. Organizer for International Dairy Federation International Symposium On Cheese Science And Technology & Symposium On Concentration And Drying Technologies Of Dairy Products, April 2016, Dublin, Ireland.
4. Resource person, Cheese short course (Dec 2014), specifically in cheese making labs for Cheddar, Feta and Ricotta cheeses, PSU
5. Guest organizer and lecturer, USDA HEC grant: Applied food safety lab course III, (one credit special topic - NFS 492/592, 4 day summer workshop - July 2011), South Dakota State University (SDSU), USA.
6. Organizer: (1) SAFE 600 - practical sessions on rapid detection techniques used in the food safety analysis, summer workshop (2009), North Dakota State Univ., USA ; (2) USDA HEC grant: Introductory food safety lab course I (Aug 2009) and Applied food safety lab course II (one credit special topic - NFS 492/592 - June 2010) 4 –day summer workshops, SDSU
Current Graduate Advisees:
1. Subha Sasidharan, (2020-present), Green Tea Polyphenols, interaction with milk proteins: Quantification and Applications.
2. Iresha Matiwalage, (2020-present), Improving the bioavailability of polyphenols in red grape using milk proteins.
Past Graduate Advisee:
1. Zhiguang Huang, (2017-2020), Milk lipid complexation and interaction with food ingredients- Digestibility and absorption.
Visiting scholars/International Research Interns:
1. V Vartika, (2019), Effect of whey protein addition on pasting, textural and thermal properties of pea starch
2. Vijay Kumar, (2019), Study of interactions of milk protein (Calcium caseinates) with pea starch.
3. Sonali Yadav, (2020), Image analysis of confocal scanning laser microscopy (CSLM) images for yogurt with different gelling agents.
Examiner for thesis/dissertation
1. MSc Univ. of Otago, NZ (2020)
2. PhD Massey University, NZ (2019)
3. MSc Lincoln University, NZ (2019)
Undergraduate research advising: 8 advisees ( Lincoln University NZ)
Graduate student independent study project advising: 12 advisees (Lincoln University NZ)
Graduate research interns advising: 8 advisees (Lincoln University NZ)
Awards and Honors1. Lincoln University (NZ) Teaching Excellence Award – Early Career (2019 – 2020)
2. Outstanding Volunteer Award, Institute of Food Technologists Dairy Foods Division (2013 – 2014 )
3. First place Dairy Foods: Graduate student Oral presentation competition, ADSA meeting (2013 – 2014 )
4. Edlong Dairy Flavors scholarship award in association with IFT (2012 – 2014)
5. Second place Midwest Regional, IFT Student Assoc. College Bowl competition, part of UT team (2011 – 2014)
6. International Dairy Foods Association IDFA/DREF Dairy Industry Graduate Scholarship award (2010 - 2013)
Grants1. Joint Postgraduate School fellowships of $296,000 for PhD student (two) stipend and tuition fees (2020 - 2023 and 2021 - 2024)
2. Collaborated for Lincoln University Capital expenditure (capex) grant for $130,000 for Rheometer (2020)
3. Industry grant of $6,300 from Westland Milk products, new Zealand for project on 'Effect of Temperature on Textural and Sensory Properties of Butter' (2020 - 2021)
4. Industry grant of $29,000 from Yili-Oceania Dairy Ltd., new Zealand for project on 'Dairy proteins as vehicles for polyphenols' (2019 - 2021)
5. Lincoln University capex grant for $120,000 for Ultra High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (2019)
Professional Memberships• New Zealand Institute of Chemistry (NZIC) – Lincoln University representative in Canterbury Chapter
• New Zealand Controlled Release Society (NZCRS) – Professional Member
• New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology (NZIFST) – Professional Member
• American Dairy Science Association (ADSA) –Professional member until 2017
• Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) – Professional member until 2017
• Reviewer for ScienceDirect Food Bioscience journal, SAGE Food Science and Technology journal, Journal of Dairy Science, Food Bioscience and Food Science and Technology International, International Journal of Dairy Technology, Journal of Food Processing and Preservation
Work Experience2022 - present - Associate Professor, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, USA
2022 - present - Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Lincoln University, New Zealand
2018 – 2022 – Lecturer or Assistant Professor, Lincoln University, New Zealand
2017 – 2018 – Research and Development Scientist, Glanbia Consumer Foods, Kilkenny, Ireland
2016 – 2017 - Postdoctoral researcher, Teagasc – Irish Food and Agricultural Institute, Cork, Ireland
2014 – 2015 - Postdoctoral researcher, Pennsylvania State University, USA
2011 – 2014 - Graduate Research Assistant, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
2009 – 2011 – Graduate Research Assistant, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD, USA
2007 – 2008 – Technical Superintendent, Products Dairy, Milma, ERCMPU, Kerala, India
Creative ActivitiesAs of April 2022,
1 Patent and 1 Provisional patent
17 Peer-reviewed journal articles and reviews
15 Abstracts in Scientific Conferences and Symposia
5 Invited professional lectures and panel discussions
2 Books chapters
2 Scientific/ Workshop manuals
2 Articles in professional magazines
List of publications: https://scholar.google.co.nz/citations?user=EfcCMi0AAAAJ&hl=en
Image for Department of Dairy and Food Science