Office BuildingAgricultural Engineering
Mailing AddressAg Engineering 219
Ag & Biosystems Engineering-Box 2120
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographyDr. Lin Wei intends to improve agriculture sustainability and profitability of food processing and biorefinery industries while reducing environmental impacts through effective research and educational programs. He has devoted himself in the research and education of Agricultural Engineering, Biomass Conversion and Bioenergy, Food Processing and Safety. His research focuses on developing innovative engineering solutions to utilize various renewable resources such as forest wastes, agricultural residues, and energy crops to produce value-added products. He has creatively applied thermochemical theories and catalysis sciences in biomass pre-treatment, pyrolysis, gasification, torrfaction, hydrolysis, and hydrothermal liquefaction to produce valuable bio-products including biofuels, nanocomposites, and other chemicals from renewable feedstocks such as sawdust, corn stover, switchgrass, prairie cordgrass, algae, and other feedstocks. By integrating modern nanotechnologies and non-thermal plasma approaches, he has also worked on developing biopolymer based thin film and nanocomposites for smart packaging applications to improve food quality and safety. He has been working hard to integrate cutting-edge research to education programs for training next generation workforces and professionals, keeping the programs stay at the forefront of science and technology while meeting today’s needs.
EducationPh.D. Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University
M.S. Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University
B.E. Agricultural Engineering, China Agricultural University
Academic Interests/ExpertiseAgricultural Engineering, Biomass Conversion and Bioenergy, Food Processing and Food Safety
Academic ResponsibilitiesTeaching Courses:
• ABME 792 Experimental Design and Project Management
• ABE 792 Renewable Energy Engineering
• ABE 343/343L, Engineering Properties of Biological Materials
- Agricultural Engineering, Biomass Conversion and Bioenergy, Food Processing and Safety
GrantsResearch Project and Funding Awarded:
• Develop Biochar Composite Control Release Nitrogen Fertilizer for Sustainable Corn Production (PI, $58,000)
• Develop biosolid-based control release fertilizer to improve yield of corn production (PI, $25,000)
• Develop lignocellulosic nanocomposites from prairie cordgrass and corn stalks for smart packaging applications. (PI, $120,000)
• Optimize multifunctional catalysts for efficiently converting lignocellulosic biomass to advanced biofuels (PI, $50,000)
• Evaluation of biomass and bioenergy production, environmental performance and life cycle analysis of Prairie Cordgrass (Co-PI, $300,000)
• Oil extraction from oilseeds for renewable aviation fuel production (PI, $500, 000)
• Catalytic Fast Pyrolysis of Agricultural and Forest Residues for Aromatic Fuel Additives (PI, $422,000)
• Development of Renewable Jet Fuel from lignocellulosic Feedstocks (PI, $16,000)
• Evaluation of wastewater produced in biomass pyrolysis process (PI, $33,985)
• Torrefaction and Pyrolysis of Prairie Cordgrass to Fungible Fuels (Co-PI, $305,000)
• Development of high value carbon based adsorbents from thermochemically produced bio-char (Co-PI, $600,000).
• Optimization of pyrolytic bio-oil production to maximize bio-char utility using selected biomass feedstocks. (Co-PI, $1, 000,000).
PatentsUnited States Patent: A rotating fluidized bed catalytic pyrolysis reactor, Pub. No. US2014/00/3822 A1
China patent: A novel rice seeder. ID No.: ZL 99 21617.5
China patent: A novel rice planter. ID No.: ZL 9721408.8
China patent: A device for preventing lost function of shaking parts in farm machines. ID No.: ZL 94211411.6
Professional Memberships• American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (ASABE)
• Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
• Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
Creative ActivitiesRecent Publications (* corresponding author)
1) Abdus Sobhan, Kasiviswanathan Muthukumarappan, Zhisheng Cen, Lin Wei⁎, 2019. Characterization of nanocellulose and activated carbon nanocomposite films’ biosensing properties for smart packaging. Carbohydrate Polymers, Vol. 225, 115189. Impact factor 6.044.
2) Shun Lu, Matthew Hummel, Zhengrong Gu*, Yan Gu, Zhisheng Cen, Lin Wei, Yue Zhou, Caizhi Zhang, Chi Yang, 2019. Trash to treasure: A novel chemical route to synthesis of NiO/C for hydrogen production. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. Vol. 44, Issue 31, pages 16144 – 16153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.04.191; Impact factor 4.229.
3) Wang Yang, Ran Yang, Juanjuan Li, Lin Wei, Jian Yang, 2018. Optimized tuber-lifting velocity model for cassava harvester design. Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 10 (9), page168. Impact factor 0.848.
4) Zhongyi Ma, Lin Wei*, Wei Zhou, Litao Jia, Bo Hou, Debao Li, Yongxiang Zhao. 2018 Upgrading of fast pyrolysis bio-oil to drop-in fuel over Ru catalysts. Journal of the Energy Institute, pages 1 – 6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joei.2018.06.013. Impact factor 4.217.
5) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Muhammad Rabnawaz, 2018. Catalytic liquefaction of pine sawdust and in-situ hydrogenation of biocrude over bifunctional Co-Zn/HZSM-5 catalysts. Fuel, Vol. 223, pages 252–260, Impact factor: 4.908
6) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, James Julson, Muhammad Rabnawaz, 2017. Upgrading pyrolysis bio-oil through hydrodeoxygenation (HDO) using non-sulfided Fe-Co/SiO2 catalyst. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 150, pp 331–342. Impact factor: 5.589
7) Cheng, S., Lin Wei*, Julson, J., Muthukum, K., Kharel, P., 2017. Upgrading pyrolysis bio-oil to hydrocarbon enriched biofuel over bifunctional Fe-Ni/HZSM-5 catalyst in supercritical methanol. Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 167, Pages 117-126.
8) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, James Julson, Parashu Ram Kharel, Yuhe Cao, Zhengrong Gu, 2017. Catalytic liquefaction of pine sawdust for biofuel development on bifunctional Zn/HZSM-5 catalyst in supercritical ethanol, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 126, Pages 257-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2017.06.001 Impact factor: 4.152
9) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Mustafa Alsowij, Flectcher Corbin, Eric Boakye, Zhengrong Gu and Douglas Raynie, 2017. Catalytic hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL) of biomass for bio-crude production using Ni/HZSM-5 catalysts. AIMS Environmental Science, Volume 4, Issue 3, pp 417 – 430.
10) Cheng, S., Lin Wei*, Julson, J., Muthukum, K., Kharel, P., 2017. Upgrading pyrolysis bio-oil to biofuel over bifunctional Co-Zn/HZSM-5 catalyst in supercritical methanol. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.147, pages 19 – 28.
11) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, Shouyun Cheng, James Julson, 2017. Review of heterogeneous catalysts for catalytically upgrading vegetable oils into hydrocarbon biofuels. Catalysts, Vol.7, pp 83; doi:10.3390/catal7030083. Impact factor: 3.082
12) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Julson, J., Muthukum, K., Kharel, P., Boakye, E., 2017. Hydrocarbon bio-oil production from pyrolysis bio-oil using non-sulfide Ni-Zn/Al2O3 catalyst. Fuel Processing Technology,162,78-86. Impact factor: 3.956
13) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, James Julson, Yinbin Huang, 2017. Investigated cold press oil extraction from non-edible oilseeds for future bio jet fuels production. Book, Chapter 10: Transportation and the Environment: Assessments and Sustainability, pp 265-298. Accessed on website: https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9781771884679/chapters/10.1201%2F9781315365886-22. Taylor & Francis Group, Apple Academic Press.
14) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei∗, James Julson, Kasiviswanathan Muthukumarappan, Parashu Ram Kharel, Yuhe Cao, Eric Boakye, Douglas Raynie, Zhengrong Gu, 2017. Hydrodeoxygenation upgrading of pine sawdust bio-oil using zinc metal with zero valency. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, pages 1 – 8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtice.2017.02.011. Impact factor: 2.848.
15) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, James Julson, Ethan Kadis, 2017. Converting Alkali Lignin to Biofuels over NiO/HZSM-5 Catalysts Using a Two-stage Reactor. Chem. Eng. Technol. Vol. 40 (6), Pages 1069-1077. DOI:10.1002/ceat.201600539. Impact factor: 2.385.
16) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Mustafa Radhi Alsowij, Fletcher Corbin, James Julson, Eric Boakye, Douglas Raynie, 2017. In situ hydrodeoxygenation upgrading of pine sawdust bio-oil to hydrocarbon biofuel using Pd/C catalyst. Journal of the Energy Institute. Vol.1, pp 1 – 9. Impact factor: 1.000
17) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, James Julson, 2016. Application, Deactivation, and Regeneration of Heterogeneous Catalysts in Bio-Oil Upgrading. Catalysts, Vol. 6, pp 195; doi:10.3390/catal6120195. Impact factor: 3.194
18) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, 2016. Development of a bifunctional Ni/HZSM-5 catalyst for converting prairie cordgrass to hydrocarbon biofuel. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 38:16, 2433-2437, DOI:10.1080/15567036.2015.1065298. Impact factor: 1.094
19) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, James Julson, 2016 Effects of cold press operating conditions on vegetable oil fatty acid profiles. International journal of green energy, Vol 13 (10), 990 – 999. Impact factor: 1.171
20) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, Shouyun Cheng, Ethan Kadis, Yuhe Cao, Eric Boakye, Zhengrong Gu, James Julson, 2016. Hydroprocessing of carinata oil for hydrocarbon biofuel over Mo-Zn/Al2 O3, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Vol. 196, PP 41–49. Impact factor: 8.326.
21) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, Shouyun Cheng, James Julson, Gary Anderson, Kasiviswanathan Muthukumarappan, and Changling Qiu, 2016. Development of hydrocarbon biofuel from sunflower seed and sunflower meat oils over ZSM-5: Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 8, 013109; doi: 10.1063/1.4941911. Impact factor: 3.326.
22) Yinbin Huang, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, Shouyun Cheng, James Julson, Yuhe Cao, Zhengrong Gu, 2016. Upgrading pine sawdust pyrolysis oil to green biofuels by HDO over zinc-assisted Pd/C catalyst. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.115, pp 8–16. Impact factor: 4.801
23) Yinbin Huang, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, James Julson, Changling Qiu, Shanmugapriya Dharmarajan, John Kiratu, Douglas Raynie, Ashish Dubey and Qiquan Qiao, 2016. Biofuel production using Pd/Zn synergistically catalyzed hydrodeoxygenation applied at bio oil extracted in biomass pyrolysis process. Int. J. Energy Res. Vol.40; pp 1724–1730. DOI: 10.1002/er.3547. Impact factor: 2.529
24) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, Ethan Kadis, Yuhe Cao, James Julson and Zhengrong Gu, 2016. Hydrodeoxygenation of prairie cordgrass bio-oil over Ni based activated carbon synergistic catalysts combined with different metals. New Biotechnology, Volume 33, Number 4, pp 440 – 448. Impact factor: 3.199
25) Heidi Sieverding, Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei, James Stone (2016). Life cycle assessment of oilseeds for bio-jet production using localized cold-press extraction, Journal of Environmental Quality. Vol. 45 (3), pp 967 – 976. Impact Factor: 2.652
26) Lin Wei*, Yang Gao, Wangda Qu, Xianhui Zhao, Shouyun Cheng, 2016. Torrefaction of raw and blended corn stover, switchgrass and prairie grass. Trans. of ASABE, Vol. 59(2): pp 717-726. Impact Factor: 1.000
27) Cheng, S., Lin Wei*, Zhao X., 2016. Develop Bifunctional Ni/HZSM-5 Catalyst for Converting Prairie Cordgrass to Hydrocarbon Biofuel. Energy Sources, Part A. Vol. 38 (16), pp. 2433 – 2437. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2015.1065298. Impact Factor: 0.654
28) Shouyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, Kadis E, Julson J. 2016. Converting prairie cordgrass to hydrocarbon biofuel over Co-Mo/HZSM-5 using a two-stage reactor system. Energy Technology 4 (6), 706-713, Impact Factor: 3.719
29) Zhongyi Ma, Lin Wei*, Wei Zhou, Litao Jia, Bo Hou, Debao Li and Yongxiang Zhao. 2015. Overview of catalyst application in petroleum refinery for biomass catalytic pyrolysis and bio-oil upgrading. RSC Advances, Vol. 5, pp. 88287 – 88297. Impact factor: 3.289
30) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, Shouyun Cheng, James Julson, 2015. Optimization of catalytic cracking process for upgrading camelina oil to hydrocarbon biofuel. Industrial Crops and Products, Vol. 77, pp. 516–526. Impact Factor: 3.449
31) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, Shouyun Cheng, Yuhe Cao, James Julson, Zhengrong Gu, 2015. Catalytic cracking of carinata oil for hydrocarbon biofuel over fresh and regenerated Zn/Na-ZSM-5. Applied Catalysis A, General, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.apcata.2015.09.031 . Impact factor 4.403
32) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, Shouyun Cheng, Yinbin Huang, Yong Yu, James Julson, 2015. Catalytic cracking of camelina oil for hydrocarbon biofuel over ZSM-5-Zn catalyst. Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 139, pp 117-126. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2015.07.033. Impact Factor: 3.847
33) Souyun Cheng, Lin Wei*, Xianhui Zhao, Yinbin Huang, Douglas Raynie, Changling Qiu, J. Kiratu, and Yong Yu, 2015. Directly catalytic upgrading bio-oil vapor produced by prairie cordgrass pyrolysis over Ni/HZSM-5 using a two-stage reactor. AIMS Energy, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp. 227-240. DOI: 10.3934/energy.2015.2.227.
34) Yinbin Huang, Lin Wei*, Za. Crandall, James Julson, Zhengrong Gu, 2015. Combining Mo–Cu/HZSM-5 with a two-stage catalytic pyrolysis system for pine sawdust thermal conversion. Fuel. vol. 150 pp. 656 – 663. Impact factor: 3.611
35) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, James Julson, Qiquan Qiao, A. Dubey and Gary Anderson, 2015. Catalytic cracking of non-edible sunflower oil over ZSM-5 for hydrocarbon bio-jet fuel. New Biotechnology. DOI information: 10.1016/j.nbt.2015.01.004. Impact factor: 3.183
36) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, James Julson, Zhengrong Gu, and Yuhe Cao, 2015. Catalytic cracking of inedible camelina oils to hydrocarbon fuels over bifunctional ZSM-5-Zn catalysts. The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering. Vol. 32, issue 8, pp 1528-1541. DOI:10.1007/s11814-014-0299-5. Impact factor: 1.408
37) Yinbin Huang, Lin Wei*, J. Julson, Y. Gao, X. Zhao, 2014. Converting pine sawdust to advanced biofuel over HZSM-5 using a two-stage catalytic pyrolysis reactor, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 111, pp.148 – 155. Impact Factor: 3.652
38) Wang Yang, Juan Li, J.ian Yang, Lin Wei, 2014. Numerical simulation of experienced farmer lifting tubers for bionic cassava harvester. Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences. Nov. 3. DOI: 10.1007/s11814-014-0299-5.
39) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, James Julson, Yibin Huang, 2014. Investigated Cold Press Oil Extraction from Non-Edible Oilseeds for Future Bio-Jet Fuels Journal of Sustainable Bioenergy Systems, Vol. 4, pp. 199-214. Impact factor 1.73
40) Zhipeng Cai, S. Ji, J. He, Lin Wei, A. Bourgeois, 2014. Distributed and asynchronous data collection in cognitive radio networks with fairness consideration. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 25 No. 8. Impact Factor: 3.971
41) Xianhui Zhao, Lin Wei*, James Julson, 2014. First stage of bio-jet fuel production: non-food sunflower oil extraction using cold press method. AIMS Energy. Volume 2, Issue 2, pp. 193-209. DOI: 10.3934/energy. 2014 impact factor 2.193.
42) Wangda Qu, Lin Wei*, James Julson, 2013. An exploration of improving the properties of heavy bio-oil. Energy & Fuels, Vol. 27 (8), pp. 4717–4722. Impact factor 2.835
43) Zhongyi Ma, Lin Wei*, Wangda Qu, James Juson, Qingwei Zhu, Xunzhang Wang, 2013. The effect of support on the catalytic performance for bio-oil upgrading. Advanced Materials Research. Vols. 608-609, pp. 350-355.
44) Lin Wei*, Lester O. Pordesimo, Agus Haryanto, James Wooten, 2011. Co-gasification of hardwood chips and crude glycerol in a pilot scale downdraft gasifier. Bioresource Technology, 102 (10), pp. 6266–6272. Impact Factor: 4.917
45) Lin Wei*, S. D. Filip To, Lester O. Pordesimo, William D. Batchelor, 2011. Evaluation of micro-scale electricity generation cost using biomass-derived syngas through modeling. International Journal of Energy Research, Vol.35, pp. 989 – 1003. Impact Factor: 2.529
46) Zhongli Pan, Griffiths G. Atungulu, Lin Wei, and Ronald Haff, 2010. Development of impact acoustic detection and density separations methods for production of high-quality processed beans. J. Food Eng. Vol. 97, pp. 292 – 300. Impact Factor: 3.199
47) Lin Wei*, Lester O. Pordesimo, C.W. Herndon, William D. Batchelor, 2009. Evaluation of micro-scale biomass synthetic gas production cost through modeling. Transactions of the ASABE, Vol. 52 (5), pp.1649-1659.
48) Lin Wei*, J. Alex Thomasson, Mark R. Bricka, Ruixiu Sui, James Wooten, and Eugene Columbus, 2009. Syngas quality evaluation for biomass gasification with a downdraft gasifier. Transactions of the ASABE, Vol. 52(1), pp. 21 – 37.
49) Lin Wei*, Lester O. Pordesimo, C. Igathinathane, and William D. Batchelor, 2009. Process engineering evaluation of ethanol production from wood through bioprocess and chemical catalysis. Biomass and Bioenergy. Vol. 33(2), pp. 255 – 266. Impact Factor: 3.249
50) Peilin Yang, Eugene P. Columbus, James Wooten, William D. Batchelor, Prashanth R. Buchireddy, Xuejun Ye, Lin Wei, 2009. Evaluation of syngas storage under different pressures and temperatures. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Vol. 25(1), pp. 121 – 128.
Area(s) of Research• Biomass pretreatment, gasification, pyrolysis, and torrefaction for development of advanced biofuels and bioproducts
• Catalyst development and application in biorefinery
• Biopolymer-based nanocomposites production and characterization
• Biosensors application for food processing and precision agriculture
• Non-thermal plasma applications for food safety
• Precision Agriculture and control release fertilizer
Image for Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering