BiographyDustin Oedekoven, DVM, Diplomate ACVPM
EducationDoctor of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2002.
Curriculum included specialized coursework in food animal production medicine.
Bachelor of Science (With Honor), South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota, 2000.
Major: Agricultural Science
Academic Responsibilities2004-2010: PHGY 210, Human Physiology, 4 cr., Spring semesters, USD.
2007-2016: VET 103, Introduction to Veterinary Medicine, SDSU. (Guest Lecturer)
Committee ActivitiesRECENT SELECTED PRESENTATIONS
• “Rules and regulations surrounding backyard and youth project animal groups.” James Bailey Herd Health Symposium, Brookings, SD. February 11, 2017.
• “What to do when there is something new: insights from a state veterinarian on how diagnostic laboratories, veterinarians, and producers can work together.”
American Association of Swine Practitioners, Denver, CO. February, 2017.
• “Epidemiology of Mycobacteria bovis in South Dakota beef herds.” Academy of Veterinary Consultants, Denver, CO. August 4, 2017.
• “Making Animal Disease Traceability (ADT) a Reality.” NIAA/USAHA Strategy Forum on Livestock Traceability, Denver, CO. September 26, 2017.
Awards and HonorsAmerican College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, June 2015
Professional MembershipsState Veterinary Licensure: South Dakota
Treasurer, National Assembly of State Animal Health Officials
Vice-Chairman, Committee on Cattle and Bison, United States Animal Health Association
Past President, North Central US Animal Health Association
South Dakota Veterinary Medical Association
American Veterinary Medical Association
Work ExperienceState Veterinarian and Executive Secretary, South Dakota Animal Industry Board, Pierre, SD, March 2009 -present.
• Chief Animal Health Official for the State of South Dakota.
• Direct the daily business of the state’s animal health agency, a 7-member Governor appointed board of livestock producers.
• Lead a team of 9 veterinarians and 32 support staff of the Animal Industry Board in carrying out the disease prevention, control, and response activities of the Animal
Industry Board, including foreign animal disease response.
• Serve as director of the SD Meat Inspection program, responsible for all budgetary and personnel decisions in carrying out the program in a manner ‘equal to’ federal
• Collaborate with licensed veterinarians on multi-state investigations and projects.
• Serve as a science-based animal health authority and resource for livestock producers, veterinarians, auction markets, dealers, extension agents, and the public.
Deliver written materials and publications to inform stakeholders of current animal health issues.
• Serve as representative for South Dakota at national animal health meetings.
Director, South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board, Pierre, SD, July 2016 - present.
• Direct veterinary regulatory licensure activities for a 4-member Governor appointed board.
• Respond to complaints against licensed veterinarians, non-licensed individuals, and registered veterinary technicians.
• Provide guidance to licensed veterinarians regarding the standard of practice.
Interim Secretary, South Dakota Department of Agriculture, Pierre, SD, March 2016 – July 2016.
• Served as an interim member of the Governor’s cabinet as the South Dakota Secretary of Agriculture.
• Managed operations of the Department. Oversaw a staff of over 120 staff within 5 divisions.
Assistant State Veterinarian, South Dakota Animal Industry Board, Pierre, SD, September 2003-March 2009.
• Designated Johne’s Disease Coordinator
• Beef Quality Assurance Coordinator for South Dakota
• Designated Brucellosis and Tuberculosis Epidemiologist
Creative ActivitiesHONORS, ACTIVITIES, AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Distinguished Alumni, Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society of Agriculture, SDSU Chapter, April 2016.
• APHIS Administrator’s Award for Animal Health, October 2015
• Emerging Leader Award, South Dakota Veterinary Medical Association, August 2013
• Distinguished Young Alumni, South Dakota State University, November 2011
• Outstanding Senior Student Award, Auxiliary to the AVMA, for advancing the prestige of the art of Veterinary Medicine, Fall 2002
• Iowa State University, College of Veterinary Medicine Honor Board Class Service award, 2001
• American Farmer Degree, National FFA Organization, Kansas City, MO, 1996
• USDA, APHIS, National Animal Health Laboratory Network Coordinating Council (2010-2013)
• USDA, FSIS, National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (2015-2020)
• USDA, FAS, Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Animals and Animal Products (2017-2021)
Applications of ResearchRECENT SELECTED PROFESSIONAL PUBLICATIONS
Neiger, R., Oedekoven, D. (2017). Anthrax. Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Consult, Ruminant, Second Ed.
National Academies of Science, Committee on Agriculture. (2017) Revisiting Brucellosis in the Greater Yellowstone Area.