|Office Building||Animal Disease Research & Diagnostic Laboratory|
|Mailing Address||South Dakota State University
Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences
SAR 155G, Box 2175
Brookings, SD 57007
EducationBachelors of Science in Microbiology
Graduate Studies in Biochemistry
Area(s) of ResearchHIV/AIDS, Adoptive Immunity/Human Dendritic Cell Studies, Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS)
1. Lawson, S. Lunney, J. Zuckermann. F.,Fernando Osorio, Eric Nelson, Craig Welbon, Travis Clement, Ying Fang, Susan Wong, Karen Kulas and Christopher-Hennings, J. Development of an 8-plex Luminex assay to detect swine cytokines for vaccine development: Assessment of immunity after porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) vaccination. Vaccine. 2010 May 17.
2. Spilman M. S., Welbon C., Nelson E., and Dokland T. Cryo-electron tomography of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus: organization of the nucleocapsid
J Gen Virol 2009 90: 527-535.
3. Brown, E. Lawson ,S., Welbon, C., Gnanandarajah J, Li, J., Murtaugh M. P., Nelson E. A., Molina R. M., Jeffery Zimmerman J., Rowland R. R. R., and Fang Y. Antibody Response to Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus (PRRSV) Nonstructural Proteins and Implications for Diagnostic Detection and Differentiation of PRRSV Types I and II Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 2009 May, 16,(5): 628-635.
4. Wagner SJ, Myrup A, Xu Y, Walker MS, Welbon C, Celluzzi CM. Monocyte enrichment of mononuclear apheresis preparations with a multistep back-flush procedure on cord blood filter. Transfusion, 2005 45(3):433-439.
5. Celluzzi, C.M. and Welbon, C. Dendritic cell culture: a simple closed culture system using ficoll, monocytes and a table top centrifuge. Journal of Hematotherapy & Stem Cell Research, 2003 Oct; 12(5):575-85.
6. Celluzzi, C.M. and Welbon, C. A simple cryopreservation method for dendritic cells and cells used in their derivation and functional assessment. Transfusion. 2003; 43:488-494.
7. Bart PA, Meuwly JY, Corpataux JM, Yerly S, Rizzardi P, Fleury S, Munoz M, Knabenhans C, Welbon C, Pantaleo G, Meylan PR, and the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Sampling lymphoid tissue cells by ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of lymph nodes in HIV-infected patients. AIDS.; 1999; 13: 1503-9.
8. Fleury, S., R. J. De Boer, G. P. Rizzardi, K. D. Wolthers, S. A. Otto, C. C. Welbon, C. Graziosi, C. Knabenhans, H. Soudeyns, P. Bart, S. Gallant, J. Corpataux, M. Gillet, P. Meylan, P. Schnyder, J. Meuwly, W. Spreen, M. P. Glauser, F. Miedema, and G. Pantaleo. Limited CD4+ T-cell renewal in early HIV-1 infection: effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Nature Medicine. 1998; 4:794-801.
9. Graziosi C, Gantt KR, Vaccarezza M, Demarest JF, Daucher M, Saag MS, Shaw GM, Quinn TC, Cohen OJ, Welbon CC, Pantaleo G, Fauci AS. Kinetics of cytokine expression during primary human immunodeficiency virus type 1(HIV-1) infection.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 1996 Apr 30;93(9):4386-91.
An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) is based on the non-structural protein 7 (nsp7) of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) and provides for the simultaneous detection and differentiation of serum antibodies directed against Type 1 (European) and Type 2 (North American) PRRSV. The invention provides a serological assay for the detection and/or differentiation of serum antibodies directed against Type 1 and/or Type 2 PRRSV utilizing PRRSV nsp7 as an antigen, and provides a diagnostic method for the detection of PRRSV infection, epidemiological surveys, and outbreak investigations. The invention may be used either alone or as a follow-up assay to determine the true status of unexpected positive results that may occur using other assays, such as the IDEXX HERDCHEK PRRS ELISA.