Office BuildingAnimal Disease Research & Diagnostic Laboratory
Mailing AddressAnimal Disease Research 121
Animal Disease Research-Box 2175
Brookings, SD 57007
Dr. Ben Hause is virologist with a primary interest in emerging viruses associated with porcine and bovine disease. His research group focuses on the detection and characterization of these viruses and studies their role in animal health. Dr. Hause spent a large part of his career in the veterinary vaccine industry and continues research and development of novel and efficacious vaccines for swine and cattle.
Education2013 Doctoral of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Biological Sciences
South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
2001 Master of Science Medicinal Chemistry
University Of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
1998 Bachelor of Arts Chemistry and Biology
University Of Minnesota-Morris, Morris, Minnesota with distinction
1. 10,555,995. Hause BM Porcine pestivirus, vaccines and assays.
2. 10,450,351. Hause BM. Porcine circovirus 3 immunogenic compositions and methods of making and using the same.
3. 9,623,105. Hause BM. Attenuated swine influenza vaccines and methods of making and use thereof.
4. 9,216,211. Hause BM. Attenuated swine influenza vaccines and methods of making and use thereof.
5. 9,446,117. Bey RF, Simonson RR, Sirigireddy KR, Hause BM. Rotavirus subunits vaccine and making and use thereof.
6. 9,278,999. Simonson RR, Hause BM, Collin EA. Influenza C virus and vaccines.
7. 8,137,953. Miller M, Suominen P, Aristidou A, Hause BM, Van Hoek P, Dundon CA. Lactic acid producing yeast cells having non-functional L- or D-lactate:ferric cytochrome C oxidoreductase cells. November 17, 2006.
8. 7,534,597. Hause BM, Rajgarhia V, Suominen P, Methods and materials for the production of L-lactic acid in yeast. May 19, 2009
Work Experience2016 – 2020 Vice President of Research, Development and Diagnostics, Cambridge Technologies, Worthington, Minnesota
2015 – 2016 Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
2014– 2015 Assistant Research Professor, Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
2007 – 2014 Director, Diagnostic Services, Newport Laboratories, Worthington, Minnesota, MN
2005 – 2007 Research Scientist, Newport Laboratories, Worthington, Minnesota, MN
2001 – 2005 Research Scientist, Natureworks, LLC (Formerly Cargill Dow, LLC), Minnetonka, Minnesota, MN
Area(s) of ResearchPeer-reviewed publications
1. Hause BM, Nelson EA, Christopher-Hennings J. 2020. North American big brown bats harbor an exogenous Deltaretrovirus. mSphere 5(5):e00902-20.
2. Gao R, Sreenivasan CC, Sheng Z, Hause BM, Zhou B, Wentworth DE, Clement T, Rausch D, Brunick C, Christopher-Hennings J, Wu H, Bausch CL, Sullivan EJ, Hoppe AD, Huber VC, Wang D, Li F. 2020. Human monoclonal antibody derived from transchromosomic (Tc) cattle neutralizes multiple H1 clades of influenza A virus by recognizing a novel conformational epitope in the HA head domain. Journal of Virology doi: 10.1128/JVI.00945-20.
3. Salem E, Dhanasekaran V, Cassard H, Hause BM, Maman S, Meyer G, Ducatex MF. 2020. Global transmission, spatial segregation, and recombination determine the long-term evolution and epidemiology of bovine coronaviruses. Viruses 12(5):534.
4. Franzo G, Delwart E, Fux R, Hause BM, Su S, Zhou J, Segales J. 2020. Genotyping porcine circovirus 3 (PCV-3) nowadays: does it make sense? Viruses 12, 265; doi:10.3390/v12030265.
5. Oliva J, Mettier J, Sedano L, Delverdier M, Bourges-Abella N, Hause BM, Loupias J, Pardo I, Bleuart C, Bordignon PJ, Meunier E, Le Goffic R, Meyer G, Ducatez MF. 2019. A murine model for the study of influenza D virus. Journal of Virology doi:10.1128/JVI.01662-19.
6. Liu R, Sheng Z, Lin T, Sreenivasan C, Gao R, Thomas M, Druce J, Hause BM, Kaushik RS, Li F, Wang D. 2019. Genetic and antigenic characteristics of a human influenza C virus clinical isolate. Journal of Medical Virology doi.10.1002/jmv.25589.
7. Dane H, Duffy C, Guelbenzu M, Hause BM, Fee S, Forster F, McMenamy MJ, Lemon K. 2019. Detection of influenza D virus in bovine respiratory disease samples, U.K. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases 66:2184-2187.
8. Arruda B, Pineyro P, Derscheid R, Hause BM, Byers E, Dion K, Long D, Sievers C, Tangen J, Williams T, Schwartz K. 2019. PCV3-associated disease in the United States swine herd. Emerging Microbes and Infection 8(1):684-698.
9. Bauermann FV, Hause BM, Buysse AR, Joshi LR, Diel DG. 2019. Identification and genetic characterization of a porcine hepe-astrovirus (bastrovirus) in the United States. Archives of Virology. doi 10.1007/s00705-019-04313-x.
10. Sreenivasan CC, Thomas M, Antony L, Wormstadt T, Hildreth MB, Wang D, Hause BM, Francis DH, Li F, Kaushik RS. 2019. Development and characterization of swine primary respiratory epithelial cells and their susceptibility to infection by four influenza virus types. Virology 528:152-163.
11. Park JY, Welch M, Harmon KM, Zhang J, Pineyro PE, Li G, Hause BM, Gauger PC. 2018. Detection, isolation and in vitro characterization of porcine parainfluenza virus type 1 isolated from respiratory diagnostic specimens in swine. Veterinary Microbiology.
12. Zhao W, Yu J, Thomas M, Sreenivasan CC, Hause BM, Wang D, Francis DH, Kaushik RS, Li F. 2018. Pre-exposure with influenza A virus A/WSN/1933(H1N1) resulted in viral shedding reduction from pigs challenged with either swine H1N1 or H3N2 virus. Veterinary Microbiology https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2018.11.008.
13. Wang Z, Huang B, Thomas M, Sreenivasan CC, Sheng Z, Yu J, Hause BM, Wang D, Francis DH, Kaushik RS, Li F. 2018. Detailed mapping of the linear B cell epitopes of the hemagglutinin (HA) protein of swine influenza virus. Virology 522:131-137.
14. Thomas M, Pierson M, Uprety T, Zhu L, Ran Z, Sreenivasan CC, Wang D, Hause B, Francis DH, Li F, Kaushik RS. 2018. Comparison of porcine airway and intestinal epithelial cell lines for the susceptibility and expression of pattern recognition receptors upon influenza virus infection. Viruses 10(6):E312. doi:10.3390/v10060312.
15. Hause BM, Smith C, Bishop B, Stewart C, Simonson R. 2018. Complete genome sequence of a porcine polyomavirus from nasal swabs of pigs with respiratory disease. Genome Announc. 6(17).e00344-18.
16. Flynn O, Gallagher C, Mooney J, Irvine C, Ducatez M, Hause B, McGrath G, Ryan E. 2018. Influenza D virus in cattle, Ireland. Emerg Infect Dis 24(2):389-391.
17. Sreenivasan CC, Jandhyala SS, Luo S, Hause BM, Thomas M, Knudsen DEB, Leslie-Steen P, Clement T, Reedy SE, Chambers TM, Christopher-Hennings J, Nelson E, Wang D, Kaushik RS, Li F. 2018. Phylogenetic analysis and characterization of a sporadic isolate of equine influenza A H3N8 from an unvaccinated horse in 2015. Viruses 10(1):E31. doi:10.3390/v10010031.
18. Zhai SL, Zhou X, Zhang H, Hause BM, Lin T, Liu R, Chen QL, Wei WK, Lv DH, Wen XH, Li F, Wang D. 2017. Comparative epidemiology of porcine circovirus type 3 in pigs with different clinical presentations. Virology Journal. 14:222.
19. Arruda B, Arruda P, Hensch M, Chen Q, Zheng Y, Yang C, Gatto IRH, Ferreyra FM, Gauger P, Schwartz K, Bradner L, Harmon K, Hause BM, Li G. 2017. Porcine Astrovirus type 3 in central nervous sytem of swine with polioencephalomyelitis. Emerging Infectious Diseases 23:2097-2100.
20. Mekata H, Yamamoto M, Hamabe S, Tanaka H, Omatsu T, Mizutani T, Hause BM, Okabayashi T. 2017. Molecular epidemiological survey and phylogenetic analysis of bovine influenza D virus in Japan. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases 10.1111/tbed.12765.
21. Chen Z, Collin E, Peddireddi L, Clement T, Gauger P, Hause BM. 2017. Genetic diversity in envelope genes of contemporary U.S. porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus strains influences viral antigenicity. Research in Veterinary Science 115:432-441.
22. Yu J, Hika B, Liu R, Sheng Z, Hause BM, Li F, Wang D. 2017. The hemagglutinin-esterase fusion glycoprotein is a primary determinant of the exceptional thermal and acid stability of influenza D virus. mSphere 2:e00254-17.
23. Shang P, Misra S, Hause B, Fang Y. 2017. A naturally occurring recombinant enterovirus expresses a torovirus deubiquitinase. Journal of Virology JVI.00450-17. Article featured as a Spotlight article based on significance.
24. Arruda PH, Arruda BL, Schwartz KJ, Vannucci F, Resende T, Rovira A, Sundberg P, Nietfeld J, Hause BM. 2017. Detection of a novel sapelovirus in central nervous tissue of pigs with polioencephalomyelitis in the U.S. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases 64:311-315.
25. Zanin M, Duan S, Wong SS, Kumar G, Baviskar P, Collin E, Russell C, Barman S, Hause BM, Webby R. 2017. An amino acid in the stalk domain of N1 neuraminidase is critical for enzymatic activity. Journal of Virology 91:e00868-16.
26. Palinski RM, Pineyro P, Shang P, Yuan F, Guo R, Fang Y, Byers E, Hause BM. 2016. A novel porcine circovirus distantly related to known circoviruses is associated with porcine dermatitis and nephropathy syndrome and reproductive failure. Journal of Virology JVI.01879-16. Article featured as a Spotlight article based on significance.
27. Hause BM, Huntimer L, Falkenberg S, Henningson J, Lechtenberg K, Halbur T. 2017. An influenza D virus vaccine protects cattle from respiratory disease caused by homologous challenge. Veterinary Microbiology 199:47-53.
28. Murakami S, Endoh M, Kobayashi T, Takenaka-Uema A, Chambers JK, Uchida K, Nishihara M, Hause BM, Horimoto T. 2016. Influenza D virus infection in herd of cattle, Japan. Emerging Infectious Diseases 22:1517-1519.
29. Hause BM, Padmanabhan A, Pedersen K, Gidlewski T. 2016. The feral swine virome is dominated by single stranded DNA viruses and contains a novel orthopneumovirus which circulates both in feral and domestic swine. Journal of General Virology, doi:10.1099/jgv.0.000554.
30. Chen Z, Yuan F, Li Y, Shang P, Schroeder R, Lechtenberg K, Henningson J, Hause BM, Bai J, Rowland RR, Clavijo A, Fang Y. 2016. Construction and characterization of a full-length cDNA infectious clone of emerging Senecavirus A. Virology 497: 111-124.
31. Vitosh-Sillman S, Loy JD, Broderson B, Kelling C, Doster A, Topliff C, Nelson E, Bai J, Schirtzinger E, Poulsen E, Meadors B, Anderson J, Hause BM, Anderson G, Hesse R. 2016. Experimental infection of conventional nursing pigs and their dams with porcine deltacoronavirus. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 28:486-497.
32. Mitra N, Cernicchiaro N, Torres S, Li F, Hause BM. 2016. Metagenomic characterization of the virome associated with bovine respiratory disease in feedlot cattle identified novel viruses and suggests an etiologic role for influenza D virus. Journal of General Virology, epub May 5. doi:10/1099/jgv.0.000492.
33. Padmanabhan A, Hause BM. 2016. Detection and characterization of a novel genotype of porcine astrovirus 4 from nasal swabs from pigs with acute respiratory disease. Archives of Virology, epub 21 June: 10.007/s00705-016-2937-1.
34. Hause BM, Duff JW, Scheidt A, Anderson G. 2016. Virus detection using metagenomic sequencing of swine nasal and rectal swabs. Journal of Swine Health and Production 24:304-308.
35. Hause BM, Palinski RM, Hesse RA, Anderson GA. 2016. Highly diverse posaviruses in swine feces are aquatic in origin. Journal of General Virology, 97:1362-1367.
36. Palinksi RM, Mitra N, Hause BM. 2016. Discovery of a novel Parvovirinae virus, porcine parvovirus 7, by metagenomic sequencing of porcine rectal swabs. Virus Genes 52:564-567.
37. Hause BM, Myers O, Duff J, Hesse RA. 2016. Senecavirus A in United States pigs, 2015. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 22:1323-1325.
38. Jarvis MC, Lam HC, Zhang Y, Wang L, Hesse RA, Hause BM, Vlasova A, Wang Q, Zhang J, Nelson MI, Murtaugh MP, Marthaler D. 2015. Genomic and evolutionary inferences between American and global strains of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 123:175-184.
39. Palinski RM, Chen Z, Henningson JN, Lang Y, Rowland RR, Fang Y, Prickett J, Gauger PC, Hause BM. 2015. Widespread detection and characterization of porcine parainfluenza virus 1 in pigs in the United States. Journal of General Virology 97:281-286.
40. Lindemann DM, Carpenter JW, Nietfeld JC, Gonzalez E, Hallman M, Hause BM. 2015. Multicentric T-cell lymphoma and cutaneous hemangiosarcoma in a captive cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 46(4):961-966.
41. Schirtzinger EE, Suddith AW, Hause BM, Hesse RA. 2015. First identification of porcine parvovirus 6 in North America by viral metagenomic sequencing of serum from pigs infected with porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome. Virology Journal 12:170.
42. Sreenivasan C, Thomas M, Sheng Z, Hause BM, Collin EA, Knudsen DE, Pillatzki A, Nelson E, Wang D, Kaushik RS, Li F. 2015. Replication and transmission of novel bovine influenza D virus in guinea pig model. Journal of Virology pii:JVI.01630-15.
43. Homwong N, Marthaler D, Convertino M, Torremorell M, Craft M, Hause BM, Deen J. 2015. Bayesian estimation to test accuracy for influenza A infection via respiratory clinical signs in the absence of a gold standard. Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Health 7(10):317-327.
44. Hause BM, Collin EA, Peddireddi L, Yuan F, Chen Z, Hesse RA, Gauger PC, Clement T, Fang Y, Anderson G. 2015. Discovery of a novel putative atypical porcine pestivirus in pigs in the United States. Journal of General Virology doi:10.1099/jgv.0.000251.
45. Hause BM, Hesse RA, Anderson GA. 2015. Identification of a novel Picornavirales virus distantly related to posavirus in swine feces. Virus Genes June 2.
46. Tokarz R, Sameroff S, Hesse RA, Hause BM, Desai A, Jain K, Lipkin WI. 2015. Discovery of a novel nidovirus in cattle with respiratory disease. Journal of General Virology doi:10.1099/vir.0.000166.
47. Collin EA, Anbalagan S, Okda F, Batman R, Nelson E, Hause BM. 2015. An inactivated vaccine made from a U.S. field isolate of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus is immunogenic in pigs as demonstrated by a dose titration. BMC Veterinary Research 11:62.
48. Hause BM, Collin EA, Anderson J, Hesse RA, Anderson G. 2015. Bovine rhinitis viruses are common in U.S. cattle with bovine respiratory disease. PLoS ONE 10:e0121998.
49. Zanin M, Marathe B, Wong SS, Yoon SW, Collin EA, Oshansky C, Hause BM, Webby RJ. 2015. Pandemic swine H1N1 influenza viruses with almost undetectable neuraminidase activity do not transmit via aerosols in ferrets and are inhibited by mucus. Journal of Virology 89:5935-5948.
50. Ran Z, Shen H, Lang Y, Kolb EA, Turan N, Zhu L, Ma J, Bawa B, Liu Q, Liu H, Quast M, Sexton G, Krammer F, Hause BM, Christopher-Hennings J, Nelson EA, Richt J, Li F, Ma W. 2015. Domestic pigs are susceptible to infection with influenza B viruses. Journal of Virology 89:4818-4826.
51. Thomas M, Wang Z, Sreenivasan CC, Hause BM, Gourapura R, Li F, Francis DH, Kaushik RS, Khatri M. 2015. Poly I:C adjuvanted inactivated swine influenza vaccine induces heterologous protective immunity in pigs. Vaccine 33(4):542-548.
52. Collin EA, Sheng Z, Lang Y, Ma W, Hause BM, Li F. 2014. Co-Circulation of two distinct genetic and antigenic lineages of proposed influenza D virus in cattle. Journal of Virology 89(2):1036-1042.
53. Anbalagan S, Spaans T, Hause BM. 2014. Genome sequence of the novel reassortant mammalian orthoreovirus strain MRV00304/13 isolated from a bovine with diarrhea from the U.S. Genome Announcements 2(3):e00451-14.
54. Anbalagan S, Hause BM. 2014.Characterization of epizootic hemorrhagic disease virus from a bovine with clinical disease with high spatial-temporal similarity to white-tailed deer isolates. Archives of Virology 159(10):2737-40.
55. Anbalagan S, Hause BM. 2014. First identification of porcine enterovirus G in the United States. PLoS One 9(5):e97517.
56. Hause BM, Collin EA, Liu R,, Huang B, Sheng Z, Lu W, Wang D, Simonson RR, Li F. 2014. Characterization of a Novel Influenza Virus in Cattle and Swine: Implication for a New Genus with a Bovine Reservoir. mBio 5(2):e00031-14.
57. Anbalagan S, Cooper E, Klumper P, Simonson R, Hause BM. 2014. Whole genome analysis of epizootic hemorrhagic disease virus identified limited genome constellations and preferential reassortment. Journal of General Virology 95:434-441.
58. Cooper E, Anbalagan S, Klumper P, Scherba G, Simonson R, Hause BM. 2014. Mobuck virus genome sequence and phylogenetic analysis: Identification of a novel Orbivirus isolated from a white-tailed deer in Missouri, USA. Journal of General Virology 95:110-116.
59. Zheng S, Ran Z, Wang D, Hoppe A, Simonson RR, Chakravarty S, Hause BM, Li F. 2014. Genomic and evolutionary characterization of a novel influenza C-like virus from swine. Archives of Virology 159:249-255.
60. Miller MW, Hause BM, Killion HJ, Edwards WH, Wolfe L. 2013. Phylogenetic and epidemiological relationships among Pasteurellaceae from Colorado Bighorn sheep herds. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 49(3):653-660.
61. Hause BM, Ducatez M, Collin EA, Ran Z, Liu R, Sheng Z, Armien A, Kaplan B, Chakravarty S, Hoppe AD, Webby RJ, Simonson RR, Li F. 2013. Isolation of a novel swine influenza virus from Oklahoma in 2011 which is distantly related to human influenza C viruses. PLoS Pathogens 9(2):e1003176.
62. Hause BM, Stine DL, Sheng Z, Wang Z, Chakravarty S, Simonson RR, Li F. 2012. Migration of the swine influenza virus δ-cluster hemagglutinin N-linked glycosylation site from N142 to N144 results in loss of antibody cross-reactivity. Clinical Vaccine Immunology 19(9):1457-1464.
63. Sun Z, Huber VC, McCormick K, Kaushik RS, Boon AC, Zhu L, Hause BM, Webby RJ, Fang Y. 2012. Characterization of a porcine intestinal epithelial cell line for influenza virus production. Journal of General Virology 93(Pt.9):2008-2016.
64. Hause BM, Collin EA, Ran Z, Zhu L, Webby RJ, Simonson RR, Li F. 2012. In vitro reassortment between endemic H1N2 and 2009 H1N1 pandemic swine influenza viruses generates attenuated viruses. PLoS One 7(6):e39177.
65. Patterson AR, Johnson JK, Ramamoorthy S, Hesse RA, Murtaugh MP, Puvanendiran S, Pogranichniy RM, Erickson GA, Carman S, Hause BM, Meng XJ, Opriessnig T. 2011. Interlaboratory comparison of porcine circovirus-2 indirect immunofluorescent antibody test and enzyme linked immunosorbent assay results on experimentally infected pigs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 23(2):206-212.
66. Ducatez MF, Hause BM, Stigger-Rosser E, Darnel D, Corzo C, Juleen K, Simonson R, Brockwell-Staats C, Rubrum A, Wang D, Webb A, Crumpton JC, Lowe J, Gramer M, Webby RJ. 2011. Reassortment of endemic swine influenza with pandemic A/H1N1 (2009) in swine herds in the United States. Emerging and Infectious Diseases 17(9):1624-1629.
67. Hause BM, Oleson TA, Stine DL, Bey RF, Simonson RR. 2011. Genetic and antigenic characterization of recent human-like (δ-cluster) swine influenza virus isolates. Journal of Swine Health and Production 19(5):268-276.
68. Hause BM, Oleson TA, Bey RF, Stine DL, Simonson RR. 2010. Antigenic categorization of contemporary H3N2 swine influenza virus isolates using a high-throughput serum neutralization assay. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 22(3):352-359.