TitleCreative Services, Branding & Publications Manager
Office BuildingCommunications Center
Mailing AddressCommunications Center 112
University Marketing & Communications-Box 2230
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographyAndrea Kieckhefer has been the manager of creative services and branding at South Dakota State University since 2011. She has been with the university since 2005, serving as the news editor and later as the publications editor for University Marketing and Communications.
Before returning to her alma mater, Kieckhefer worked for Grit and Capper’s magazines in Topeka, Kan., starting as an assistant editor and eventually moving to managing editor before being named editor-in-chief.
A native of Brandon, S.D., Kieckhefer earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from SDSU in 1999. Following graduation, she worked for The Associated Press in Pierre covering the South Dakota Legislative session and then went to work for the Tri-State Neighbor in Sioux Falls as the special sections editor.
Awards and HonorsCASE VI Gold Certificate for Internal Audience Publications: Print - IMPACT State, 2016
CASE VI Bronze Certificate for Institution Relations Publications: President's Reports and Annual Reports, 2016
CASE VI Silver Certificate for Institutional Relations Publications: Research Publications - Research Report, 2015
CASE VI Silver Certificate for Special Events: Multi-Day - McFadden Symposium on Wheat Improvement, 2015
CASE VI Silver Certificate for Internal Audience Publications: Print - IMPACT State Newsletter, 2015
CASE VI Bronze Certificate for Institutional Relations Publications: Research Publications - Engineering Research, 2014
CASE VI Gold Certificate for Institutional Relations Publications - President's Reports and Annual Reports, 2014
CASE VI Gold Certificate for Photography - Individual Photographs, 2014
CASE VI Silver Certificate for Institutional Relations Publications - Research Publications, 2014
CASE VI Bronze Certificate for Magazines - Special Issues, 2014
CASE VI Gold Certificate for Periodical Special Issue, 2013
CASE VI Silver Certificate for Periodical Special Issue, 2013
Professional MembershipsAmerican Marketing Association
International Collegiate Licensing Association
Work Experience• Serve as a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders seeking leadership and assistance with brand and marketing-related activities.
• Assist in the development and implementation of short- and long-term marketing objectives and strategies as it pertains to marketing and promoting the university and university-associated activities.
• Maintain the university’s Graphic Identity Manual and proposed changes per the university’s governance structure.
• Provide oversight and leadership to University Marketing and Communications’ cost recovery efforts and business model as it pertains to the creative services unit and photography, including setting deadlines and priorities for production.
• Responsible for production of recruitment publications, strategic university publications, advertisements and other university-related materials produced through University Marketing and Communications.
• Maintain vendor relations and approval of all apparel and merchandise as it pertains to the university’s Trademark and Licensing Program.
• Provide creative leadership and editorial assistance of all university-related magazines produced by UMC.
• Oversee a staff of five graphic designers and the university photographer.
Publications Editor, University Relations, Brookings, S.D.
News Editor, University Relations, Brookings, S.D.
Editor-in-chief, Grit and Capper’s magazines, Ogden Publications, Topeka, Kan.
Managing Editor, Grit and Capper’s magazines, Ogden Publications, Topeka, Kan.
Assistant Editor, Capper’s Magazine, Ogden Publications, Topeka, Kan.
Special Sections Editor, Tri-State Neighbor, Sioux Falls, S.D.
Editorial Assistant, The Associated Press, Pierre, S.D.
Reporter, Community News Service, Pierre, S.D.
Image for University Marketing & Communications