The mission of the Dairy and Food Science Department is to help create a prosperous future for the dairy and food industry of South Dakota, the region, nation, and world.
The Dairy and Food Science Department will be the nation’s authority in modernized dairy production, dairy manufacturing, and food science leadership.
- People-Centered: We recognize leadership is derived from service to others. We are committed to creating a culture where all thrive and are supported on their own personal and professional paths toward lifelong learning, growth, and leadership.
- Creativity: Creativity is our cornerstone to expand knowledge, develop human understanding, and enrich quality of life. We believe that education and research/scholarship/creative activity reinforce one another and the best academic programs bring innovative teaching and rigorous research together.
- Integrity: We act with organizational and personal integrity, through honest interactions, professionalism, transparent and accountable decision-making, and respect for others.
- Diversity: We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, inclusive, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration and we respect individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
- Excellence: Excellence is achieved through continuous improvement, assessment, and accountability. We embrace bold action and adapt to an ever-changing environment. Individually, we are experts at what we do. Collectively, our impact is even greater.
Goals & Strategies
- Achieve Excellence Through Transformative Education
- Cultivate and Strengthen Community Engagement
- Foster Innovation and Increase Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity (RSCA)
- Be a Growing, High-Performing and Healthy Department