South Dakota State University recently announced plans to extend Spring Break for another week due to ongoing response planning related to coronavirus and COVID-19. Campus residences already closed for Spring Break will remain closed for the extended Spring Break period as communicated in an email from SDSU on Thursday, March 12, 2020. Except for students approved to stay, resident card access will remain off until noon on Sunday, March 22.
Though this restriction will make it easier for remaining students to maintain safer social distance, we recognize that some students may need to remain in—or return to—their residence halls. If you need to stay on-campus during the closure or return to campus early, you must apply through MyState - see directions below for how to apply. Spring break housing/late stay/early arrival is available for:
- Students who live more than 400 miles away from Brookings.
- Students who are employed and working during the extended break period. Those staying for this reason will be asked to provide name and contact information for a local employer/supervisor on their application.
- International students who are not traveling home for break.
- Individuals with other extenuating circumstances (which will need to be expressed and approved).
- If you need to pick up urgent items such as medication or critical resources needed for academic work, please apply and include this reason in your application notes with the specific date/time you will need to access your building/room.
All applications will require notation of your reason for application. Applications will be reviewed by Housing and Residential Life staff on a rolling basis, and applicants will be notified of their approval or denial to stay on campus. You should not plan to arrive or reside on campus until you have received confirmation of your approval.
To apply for Spring break housing go to MyState>Resources>Forms>University Housing Application >Apply Now>Spring Break Housing 2020.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our office. The central Housing and Residential Life Office in Caldwell Hall will remain open during normal business hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday throughout the coming week.
Housing and Residential Life