South Dakota State University is an NBCC and CRCC Approved Continuing Education provider (ACEP). SDSU may award NBCC and CRCC approved clock hours for events or programs that meet NBCC and CRCC requirements.
The department hosts an annual Distinguished Lecture for students and to aid professionals in obtaining CEU's and CE's required by licensing boards. The funding for the lecture and other workshops has been made possible by a gift.
Current Lecture and Workshops
- March 23, 2018: Understanding and Treating Trauma with Native Americans with Dr. Darryl Tonemah
Past Lectures and Workshops
- 2015: What Clinicians Need to Know and Talk Saves Lives with Dr. Doreen Marshall
- 2014: Learning the Language and Style of Motivational Interviewing with Dr. Cynthia J. Osborn
- 2014: Men's Issues? What Issues?! Theory-to-Practice Insights for Counselors and Student Affairs Professionals with Dr. Jason Laker
- 2013: How to Resolve Ethical Dilemmas as a Counselor: Four Models of Decision-Making with Dr. Howard B. Smith
- 2013: DSM-V Overview with Dr. Jay Trenhaile, Kristin Bruns and other SDSU Faculty
- 2012: Complementary and Alternative Approaches in Integrative Substance Abuse Treatment with Dr. Margaret Glenn
- 2010: Reality Therapy and Self-Care for Counselors with Dr. Sylinda Gilchrist-Banks
- 2009: Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health with Kathleen Schwartz
- 2008: The Mask of Masculinity with Dr. Steve Hoover
- 2007: Crisis Intervention with Dr. Howard Smith