The application deadline for Fall is April 1 and for Spring admission is October 1. The Priority Application deadline for Fall admission is December 1.
STEP 1: Applicant Applies to the Graduate School
- Apply to the Graduate School prior to the CHRD deadline to allow for processing (preferably 6 weeks at a minimum)
- Do not use the reference forms provided by the Graduate School, use the CHRD Recommendation Form
- Graduate School applications received after the CHRD deadline will be denied and referred to the next semester
- The minimum GPA to apply is 2.75, however a 3.0 or higher is desired
- GRE is not required
STEP 2: Applicant Applies to the CHRD Program
Applicants to the CHRD program must submit the documents below by April 1 for fall admission or October 1 for spring admission. Late or incomplete applications may be denied. The documents below can be sent directly to the CHRD email at email@example.com.
- A one page, typed goal statement explaining your aspirations and goals for the counseling/student affairs profession
- Disclosure Form
- Two CHRD Recommendation Forms
STEP 3: Faculty Review Applicant's File
Complete admission files will be evaluated by CHRD faculty. Applicants receiving a high rating will be invited to an admissions group interview; applicants receiving a low rating will be denied.
STEP 4: Admissions Group Interview
Invited applicants are divided into groups and interview with CHRD faculty members and other counseling/student affairs professionals. Applicants will be evaluated by interviewers and an email will be sent to all applicants approximately one week after the interview. Applicants receiving a low rating will be denied; other applicants will proceed to STEP 5.
STEP 5: State/Federal Background Check
Applicants who successfully complete the interview are required to complete and pay for a state and federal background check.
STEP 6: Final Admissions Decision
Once the CHRD program receives the results of the background check, the program will make a decision to admit or deny. If admitted, the student will be notified via email from the SDSU Graduate School and the student can register for classes. NOTE: Students must register for classes within one year after acceptance date or will need to reapply to the Graduate School and reapply/re-interview with the CHRD Program.