Skip to main content

High School Dual Credit FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions Hero Image

High School Dual Credit: Frequently Asked Questions

No, please do not send payment in with your application. Following registration, you will be able to make a payment through Student Account Self Service, by eCheck or credit card or by contacting the cashier’s office at 605-688-6116.

Yes, it’s important that you are ready to take the course on the first day of classes at the University. Even online courses have participation and assignment deadlines that you could potentially miss if you do not log into the course on the first day of class.

Students are encouraged to consult with their post-secondary institution of choice regarding the transferability of the credits they have earned. Courses available through the South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) institutions and centers through this reduced-cost program will transfer between each of the six SDBOR institutions, including: 

  • Black Hills State University
  • Dakota State University
  • Northern State University
  • South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
  • South Dakota State University
  • University of South Dakota

Courses available through South Dakota Technical Institutes may or may not transfer to other postsecondary institutions in South Dakota. Technical Institutes include:

  • Lake Area Technical Institute
  • Mitchell Technical Institute
  • Southeast Technical Institute
  • Western Dakota Technical Institute

No, you will not be dropped from your course unless you request it. You will be charged a late fee and will be unable to request a transcript from the university.

Yes, but it could take up to three weeks to receive it by mail. If you have any questions about your refund, please contact the Cashier’s office at 605-688-6116.

This may depend on the college that you choose but there could be a potential delay in the payment of your financial aid. It’s important that you document your decision to withdraw and discuss it with your high school representative, the instructor of the course or the point of the contact at the course’s institution.

Yes, dual credit courses are calculated into your high school GPA.

AP courses are college-level courses usually taught within the high school. It is an alternative option of earning college credit while in high school. Students must take the AP exam following completion of the course and meet the established scores to receive credit.

Yes, students can only enroll in up to 10 credits per semester. However, students who have previously completed one or more SDBOR HSDC courses may request a waiver to enroll in 11 or more credit hours. Please email our office for the waiver request form.

You must complete the Add/Drop form to be dropped from the course.