Set a foundation for the future you envision. With flexible times, locations and course options, the General Studies degree helps you easily move towards your goals. The Bachelor of General Studies appeals to students for a variety of reasons: it opens up new career possibilities, provides a path for upward mobility with your current employer and allows you to continue your education at the graduate level.
With over 30 ways to personalize your program, your degree can take you anywhere!
Personalizing Your Program
If you are an adult and returning student who has already completed at least 60 college credits and want to earn a baccalaureate degree, this program is designed to fit you.
The General Studies program provides you with the opportunity to earn your degree while specializing in 3 focus areas that interest you. Develop your communication, critical analysis and problem-solving skills while gaining knowledge to set you apart in your career. Complete your courses wherever you choose: online, on campus, or through a university center (Capital University Center, University Center – Sioux Falls or University Center – Rapid City). Your coursework will culminate in a capstone project that pulls together everything you have learned in order for you to apply it in a real-world context.
Complete 15 credits in at least three of these focus areas, for a total of 45 credits, for your desired emphasis:
- For the Healer—Allied Health Courses such as anatomy, athletic training, health sciences
- For the Entrepreneur—Business Courses such as business administration, consumer affairs, economics, ag econ, entrepreneurial studies
- For the Helper—Education Courses such as early childhood education, art education, ag education
- For the Artist—Fine Arts Courses such as art, art history, interior design, theater, music
- For the Scholar—Humanities Courses such as foreign languages, English, religion, philosophy, mass and speech communication
- For the Listener—Social Science Courses such as anthropology, human development, political science, psychology, sociology
- For the Researcher—Science and Math Courses such as biology, chemistry, mathematics
- For the Techie—Technology Courses such as agricultural systems technology, computer science, electrical engineering technology
- For the Coach—Wellness Courses such as health, physical education and recreation, wellness
- For the Outdoor Enthusiast—Agriculture/Natural Resource Management Courses such as animal science, plant science, range science
- For the Builder—Engineering Courses such as architechture, construction managment, physics, engineering
Phone: Phone: 605-688-4154
SDSU CONTINUING & DISTANCE EDUCATION
"I chose to finish my degree online because I have a wife and five kids, along with my job. The online program allowed me to continue with all of my normal activities, while at the same time being able to finish my degree, something that I have always wanted to do."
WADE JURACEK, Online Student
Bachelor of General Studies Major