July 30 – August 5, 2017
Sunday through Saturday
About the Institute
Are you a South Dakota high school student interested in learning more about engineering and transportation? Would you like to learn on the beautiful South Dakota State University campus through interactive, fun and hands-on activities? Do you want to explore opportunities in the transportation sector and consider it as a career? Then the South Dakota State University’s National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI) may be right for you!
Do you want to build your resume and scholarship applications? All selected students will receive scholarships to attend the NSTI! The scholarship will cover the cost of on-campus housing, food and workshops. During this one-week-long summer camp, you will be introduced to different aspects of transportation engineering, such as planning, materials, and transportation modes among other topics. You’ll also have an opportunity to participate in hands-on lab activities, and learn from experts about the transportation sector and the problems a transportation engineer solves.
At this camp, you will:
- Learn about the importance of the transportation engineer and the career opportunities in the transportation sector,
- Learn about transportation construction materials, namely asphalt and concrete, in SDSU’s asphalt and concrete labs.
- Gain experience in Transportation Safety
- Design and build a model bridge
- Tour the South Dakota State University and get a feel for college life
- And much more…
Location and Transportation
The camp will begin each day at the SDSU's Brookings Campus. Transportation to and from the camp is the responsibility of attendees' parents/guardians for those participants who do not want to stay on campus.
The camp is open to students that meet the following criteria:
- Are entering grades 9–12 (as of 2017–2018 school year)
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Completed algebra, or will be qualified for enrollment in algebra, for the coming school term
- Have an interest in engineering, science, transportation, or technology-related careers
- Submit at least one letter of recommendation from a teacher or a guidance counselor
- Submit a written statement regarding the applicant’s reasons for wanting to participate in the program and how the NSTI can assist in meeting his/her academic and career goals. The essay should be typed, double-spaced with a minimum font size of 11 and should be entitled "How Can I Plan for My Career by Attending the Summer Transportation Institute at SDSU." The essay may not exceed one page.
How to Apply
The application deadline for the 2017 camp is May 31, 2017. Applicants can apply by emailing email@example.com for the application form.
The Selected applicants will be informed by mail and e-mail.