Purpose of the Advisory Board
The Civil & Environmental Engineering Department at South Dakota State University seeks meaningful and regular interaction with the department’s constituents as a vital part of its continuous improvement process. Alumni and employers are an important constituent group and are in a position to contribute valuable feedback on the program’s curriculum, resources, outcomes and objectives. The purpose of the Advisory Board is to provide external input and exchange of information with the CEE Department that will result in continuous program improvement. This continuous external interaction is considered vital for the program to successfully fulfill its mission and objectives. Particular tasks of the advisory board are:
- To act as an alert sounding board on civil engineering professional and technical activities.
- To make suggestions to the CEE Department on curriculum changes and improvement.
- To facilitate communication between campus and the professional and lay public.
- To be a channel for the dissemination of information.
- To offer advice on trends in technology, science, engineering, and the workplace.
- To provide direction and to exchange information on economic and societal issues.
- To assist the program in development of appropriate resources to maintain high quality in performing its mission.
Advisory Board Member Expectations
The Advisory Board members are expected to engage with faculty and students and to actively partner with the department in assessing its needs and seeking out resources. Aside from attending and participating in the Advisory Board meetings, activities may include, but are not limited to, reviewing curriculum, assisting in assessment of program outcomes, completing surveys, partnering in recruitment and outreach activities, or promoting and supporting meaningful internships and capstone design projects.
Advisory Board Members (2018-2019)
Christina Bennett, South Dakota Department Of Transportation
Darin Brinkman, Burns & McDonnell
Laurie Carrette Zook, HDR Engineering, Inc.
Chad Comes, City of Madison, SD
Travis Dressen, South Dakota Department of Transportation
Marsia Geldert-Murphey, W. James Taylor, Inc.
Phil Gunvaldson, Infrastructure Design Group
Joe Honner, Bartlett and West
Dawn Horner, H. R. Green, Inc.
Dale Jans, Jans Corporation
Ralph Lindner, GeoTek Engineering & Testing
Kim McLaury, McLaury Engineering, Inc.
Russ Neyens, Daktronics, Inc.
Brad Wermers, Banner Associates, Inc.