An organization, not owned by the student or the student’s family member, that makes a commitment to pay educational expenses, is considered a third party sponsor by SDSU. In order to bill a third party sponsor for tuition and fees of one student or multiple students the following two requirements need to be met:
- SDSU must be the designated home institution of the student or students.
- The organization must submit to the SDSU Cashier’s Office a letter of authorization to bill on business letterhead or an authorization to bill form with business logo and information listed.
This letter of authorization to bill must include the following information:
- Date the letter of authorization was created.
- The name or names of the students the third party sponsor wants to be billed for.
- The ID numbers of the student or students. This is the preferred number. (If the ID number is unknown the last 4 digits of the social security number will be accepted.)
- What the third party sponsor wants to be billed for. (For example, a specific course or dollar amount per student. If the third party wants to generalize they may state they want to pay all tuition and fees for said students.)
- The period of time the authorization covers. (If the third party wants to cover a spring course only they may state the period of time as spring term only.)
- The address where SDSU Cashier’s Office is to send the billing.
- A contact person, phone number, fax and email address.
- Signature of person authorized to expend these funds.
This letter of authorization to bill should be on file at the SDSU Cashier’s office before the start of the term covered. The deadline to deliver this letter of authorization to the SDSU Cashier’s Office is the first day of the term the authorization covers.
Once the SDSU Cashier’s Office receives the required information and approves the request the third party will be set up as a sponsor. The covered student/s will receive a credit on their account/s for the amount that will be billed to the third party sponsor. The third party sponsor will be billed for the authorized term after the adjustment period is completed and usually before the end of the approved term. In order for any charges to be billed out they must be assessed through our student system. The student remains liable for any charges the sponsor does not pay.
The letter of authorization to bill should be mailed or delivered to the following address:
SDSU Cashier’s Office
Attn: Barbara Geise
SAD 136, Box 2201
Brookings, SD 57007-2598
Questions by phone may be directed to Barbara Geise in the Cashier’s Office 605-688-6116.
To learn more, please visit our frequently asked questions page.